Using free money from BT?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by benk, 6th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. benk

benk Member

House likes this.
  2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The flaw is that the 0% interest only applies to a balance transfer.

Using your CC to pay off your mortgage is a cash draw-down, which in most cases is charged at full interest. In many cases cash draw-downs even ignore the 55 day interest free period.

This effectively uses an 18% credit card to try pay off a 4.5% mortgage.

There might be some cards that aren't subject to this, you'd have to read the (very fine) print.

Perthguy and JacM like this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Reading a bit close, the poster is first drawing credit card A, which will incur interest. He then uses credit card be to do the balance transfer on 0% interest.

It might actually work...

JacM likes this.
  4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I only know one person to do a balance transfer. You could only transfer 70-80% of the outstanding balance (limit wasn't the problem) is this common or unusual? Could leave you stuck with a portion at high rates

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There are a few threads on this here already.

I did it once when I bought a car. It all went fine for months until I accidently was later with a payment.

The Y-man likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

can have credit score implications depending on the quality of your file to start with

ta

rolf

JacM likes this.
  7. benk

benk Member

Thanks, I understand there is a degree of risk to it (ie forgetting payments and can affect credit ratings) but that all seems controllable to me. Would this be considered "parking borrowed money in an offset"?

8. Terry_w

It won't matter as long as you are not trying to claim any interest on the card and have no existing borrowed money in the offset.

benk likes this.
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

There is no downsides to doing this for a PPOR loan is there? I cannot think of any and just received an offer for a balance transfer so was looking at doing the following:

upload_2017-2-9_17-33-50.png

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

And we thought carbon tax was a money-go-round. Realistically, how much difference would a plan like this make?

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Perhaps only a couple of hundred dollars a year saved using a $5,000 credit card, more worthwhile with a larger credit card... but considering it would take around 10 minutes work I don't see the harm.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

I've recently maxed my borrowing capacity so i decided to do this while i renovate a property. i could only afford 15k cc (bt 80%) 12.8k at 4% (sitting in ppor offset) $512 p.a or before tax $13.10 p/w i got the annual fee waived as well.

i also took out another cc for every day spendings i did the numbers ages ago i think it was around $50 a month/2nd month worth of fuel vouchers and money saved using it and keeping pay in offset account maybe another $300-400 p.a?

this is hardcore penny pinching haha.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

My old boss in the UK did it about 10-12 years ago, he ended up juggling around 100k (GBP) around various cards, had a big spreadsheet to track it all. He made about 4-5k from memory over about a year (GBP) until eventually no one else would give him a card. By the end he was spending so much time trying to keep track of it all, one or two missed payments would have really hammered him.

I can imagine trying to replicate that here would have a huge impact on your serviceability having so many "live" cards on the go, not to mention what your credit file would look like. Not sure it's worth the hassle for what you'd make out of it?

14. Terry_w

I did this many years ago when I bought a car - juggled $20,000 for about 6 months and then missed a payment date by mistake. So I had to quickly pay it out.

Elives and Marg4000 like this.