Using Credit Card for mortgage payments

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by paulF, 24th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I have three loans that are set up to automatically deduct loan payments (Interest only) from an offset account.
    I was thinking to get the bank to use my Credit card instead of the offset to make the payments in order to keep the balance of the offset as high as possible to save more in interest.

Any disadvantages in doing that or issues ?! i have alerts on when my credit card is due so i never miss on those.

Cheers

2. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Then get a second credit card to pay for the amount on the first card and so on.... Make it a debt circle...

Pretty sure you can't pay a mortgage with a credit card. Just as you can't pay one credit card off using another credit card.

3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Sorry, i'm not following. First sentence says get a credit card to pay first and then second one says you can't pay a CC with another?!

Seems like i jumped the gun on this one as some googling is showing that paying mortgage payments via a CC is not possible.

4. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Can't use debt to pay for debt in this example.

Only way to make it happen is if you do a cash advance and then you don't get the points, you get charged ~1.75% to withdraw the cash and you get charged interest on day one which would defeat the purpose of what you're trying to achieve.

paulF likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That sounds like a cash advance from the CC so you're paying higher interest on the card sttaight away.

paulF likes this.
  6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Pretty sure it's a cash advance which generally cost a fair bit.

Cheers

Jamie

paulF likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks very much guys,
    seems like Cash Advance is the technical word for it and yup, no advantage in doing so. It would actually be more costly to do so.

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yep, about 4-5 times more costly.

paulF likes this.
  9. House

House Well-Known Member

Used to be able to do it in the US.

Anyone looked into a BPay workaround?!

10. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Can be done as a cash advance but not worth as outlined above.

I ditched my credit card and just use a visa debit card.

Was getting Qantas FF points but the value proposition seems to have decreased significantly.

Got $800 of woolworths vouchers on the way which probably covered the fees and charges over the years, but probably not!

paulF likes this.
  11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I suppose you could do it for the points by having your CC in surplus by at least the amount of the loan repayment. It wouldn't save you any interest, but you might get FF points (assuming they're available with cash advances).

12. Hedgy

Hedgy Well-Known Member

Theoretically you could use PayPal as a front for your CC, but not sure the numbers stack up. Anyway this is how it works if you want to look into it. Setup two PP accounts--one could be in your name and the other could be in your wife's name (assuming you have a wife). The PP account in your name is linked to your credit card. From your account you gift the required mortgage payment to your wife. This gift will appear as a CC transaction and not a cash advance so you get the usual interest free period and payment terms on your CC to pay it back. The money will immediately appear in your wife PP account and from their she can transfer it to your personal bank account at which point you can use it to pay your mortgage. What's the catch, well PP will change about 2.4% of the value of the money gift from you to your wife which is a lot cheaper than a CC's interest on cash advances. Not saying it is worth while, but just throwing this out as an option for you to think about. Good luck.

paulF likes this.
  13. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It can be done but it will be a cash advance which means no interest free period and a rate of about 20%

paulF likes this.
  14. Weaver

Weaver Well-Known Member

I think you can get a cash advance on the first CC, (eg 10Kto pay into loan), and then get a second CC and with a zero interest balance transfer and use it to pay down CC1. thus save interest on 10k for the time period of your zero interest balance transfer on CC2. Some people keep rolling it over into new CC with zero balance deals just before their deal expires.
    Fair bit of hassle I think and you'd have to have some big CC balances available to do it. Prob not worth doing below $20k

paulF and Terry_w like this.
  15. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

The payment will be delivered via BPay, but still treated as a cash advance.