Use local or out of area agent to sell?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Stella, 1st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stella

Stella Member

After opinions please.
    I have a mate who is an agent in a suburb approx 20ks away from my ip which I'm going to sell.
    Also have an acquaintance I used to work with who is now an agent in the suburb my ip is in.
    Mate will charge $2k advertising & agency commission only - though i will negotiate an amount for them as i don't expect them to sell it for nothing.
    Acquaintance agent will give me up to 1% off commission and $2k advertising.

Do i use an out of area agent given these days people shop online? Sale price likely to be $600-$650k

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I haven't sold a property for nearly 30 years and the last one I sold via an REA was 35 years ago.

So, I have no idea about what I am talking about :).
    But, I would would always use an in-area agent and I would pick the most active and successful in my area.

We are looking at selling our PPOR next year (just waiting for Brisbane to really take off :)). I already know most active and successful REAs in my area. As we are likely to go to auction, I am in the process of determining the best REA/auctioneer combinations.

To me, it is not about how much they charge.

It is about how much will end up in my pocket and how long it will take to get there.

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Hi @Stella if you are confident in the ability of you mate to get you a good price and act in your best interest I do not see an issue in using them. Being only 20km away I would assume they have a fair grasp of the area and values. Personally I would go with who I see as the most competent agent, that is most likely to get me the best price.

4. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Who's going to get you the best result - go for them.

Cost is quickly absorbed by the best result.

kierank and Mick Butterfield like this.
  5. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

kierank likes this.
  6. Stella

Stella Member

You have all touched on some of my reasons for the dilemna - Associate agent was contracted to sell my last house 6 or so years ago. I sacked him when he kept trying to talk me down as being unrealistic in my expectation. I relisted with another agent and 2 weeks later achieved my price. I dont want to go through that again.
    Friend agent i trust has my best interests in mind, associate has ( in my mind at least) always just been after a quick easy sale.
    I think ive juat answered my own question havent I!

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

20 km in inner Sydney or Melbourne is quite as difference vs 20 km in Blacktown or Penrith.

There's no harm going to market, including both of these known quantities and getting the one you're most comfortable with choosing.

Lowest cost may not be best value but nor will be the highest cost if they can't achieve a result.

Many agents trade on repeat business either from buyer transitioning to vendor or multiple sales.

kierank likes this.
  8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@Stella with the further information provided it's a complete no brainer.

kierank likes this.
  9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Ed: Saw the ad online, would like to inspect the property this afternoon.

Agent 1 - Sure, see you in ten minutes
    Agent 2 - Sure, I'll be there in thirty. Oh wait it's 4pm and there's road works - see you in two hours.

kierank likes this.