Use equity in IP for deposit on PPoR

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by White Rabbit, 17th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. White Rabbit

White Rabbit New Member

Hello all,

I'm currently looking for a property to live in. I have an investment property that I own outright and would like to use the equity for a deposit. My broker said I can use the equity and still claim the interest back as a tax deduction, but I don't believe this is right. I was of the understanding that I could only claim the interest back if I used the equity for investment related purposes. I was considering selling the IP, but don't want to be waiting around for it to sell before I can look for the PPoR.

Ideally I would like to keep the IP and be able to claim tax deductions. I earn quite a high income and having a positively geared IP is, as you can imagine, keeping the ATO very happy!

My question is can the loan for the PPoR be structured so I can use the equity in the IP for a deposit and still be able to claim tax deductions? Or have I backed myself into a corner with this one?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Not deductible.

Report the broker to the tax agents board!

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Your broker is incorrect, but it's not the end of the world - you might like to look at employing a debt recycling strategy to reduce the new PPOR debt and increase deductible. It takes a bit longer but better than borrowing 100% for the new PPOR and not being able to deduct any of it.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Your broker is wrong :-(

You can use the equity - not an issue there....but you won't be able to claim the interest deductions.

Cheers

Jamie

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Subject to serviceability and a few other things, a spousal sale ( depending on who owns the asset now) and a well managed AND on-going debt recycling strategy may make your broker part right.

ta
    rolf

6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Sorry I might have got lost in this thread but what tax deduction?
    You own the IP outright so your not paying any interest to deduct?

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes if the property is in Vic a spousal sale and refinance may be a smart solution.
    And a new broker.

I believe Rolf just demonstrated the difference between good v bad

Jess Peletier likes this.