US leaving Afghanistan and Syria

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hammer, 21st Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I see it as Trump's priorities played out:

Syria/Afghanistan big presence has had its days
    parts of southern Mexico-US wall need to be built (already)

Hints already aired by Trump: they have been policing all over the world but cannot police properly at home. Wall is a security issue and so is Syria/Afghanistan.

MTR likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There are two issues here.

One is the actual policy changes made, which is what you're addressing.

The other is the manner in which the changes were made- which appear to be impulsive, and against advice received (withdrawal) and against his own previous statements (funding for the wall).

The withdrawal appears to be to the surprise of everybody around him, including Mattis and the troops on the ground- enough to prompt the resignation of Mattis and Brett McGurk, the US envoy to the global coalition fighting the ISIS group. In Syria, it appears to be an abrupt and complete withdrawal. Many people would have supported an orderly withdrawal, made in cooperation with the local troops.

The blocking of the funding is a turnabout from a previous statement where he indicated that he would support a short-term funding bill without funding for the wall.

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As Geoff said - there are two issues.

One being the wall that Trump had promised would be funded by the Mexicans. Now he's blackmailing the two houses or government (that ruled against paying for the wall) to try and force the American people to pay for it. There are more efficient and viable ways to have an orderly immigration into - and out of - American that spending many billions on a wall that has already been proven that it will be ineffective. Especially on top of the Republicans slashing funding to education/veterans/food stamps/health care.

The second is the issue in the Middle East. Yes, I agree, the USA has been the bully policeman of the world for to long and that others need to step up - especially those surrounding the troubled regions. My beef is that the USA gungho's in - starts an all in brawl bar fight - and exits stage left once the place is trashed ... all while the mafia (Russia/Turkey etc) sits plotting in the corner what evils they will do to the cowering women and children (minorities)

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

The middle eastern countries have been warring since the middle ages, I often wonder what would have happened if the USA and other countries had just let them sort it out themselves without interfering - surely the carnage cant be any worse that what it is at the moment ... :(

TAJ, Doncossack and wylie like this.
  5. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Agree with your post.

Imagine the money that could have been directed to other areas internally of the US instead of funding continual interference in other countries affairs. All the good intentions in the world won't stop the warring nature of the Middle East. Unfortunately, peace is missing from their dictionary.

Oil and its derivatives, I feel, have been some of the driving forces behind the unceasingly tampering stratagem at play by the US to mask their ongoing intrusion into the intrinsic essence of the Middle East.

Lizzie, balwoges and wylie like this.
  6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

really ?

Timeline of Middle Eastern history - Wikipedia

MTR likes this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've deleted any post which I consider to be off topic here.

This thread is about the US withdrawing from Afghanistan and Syria - not about Trump's tweets or the border wall.

I would remind people about the Politics forum guidelines

Lizzie likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Lizzie likes this.
  9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Much of the problems in the middle east have been created by the old colonial powers and a good amount of help from the US and the former USSR, including helping out puppet governments like Iran when they kept the Shah in power so they could get access to the oil.That all turned into one big turd that still reverberates around today.
    We went and saw "Vice" the other night about Dick Cheney ,and the US virtually turned the leader of ISIS from a nobody into a somebody, even Colin Powell knew it was garbage but Bush pushed hard on the matter when they were looking for a link between Iraq and Afghanistan and an excuse to invade Iraq when Saddam Hussein was in power with the aim to destroy all his weapons of mass destruction (that never existed).

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2019