Urgh! Chuggers...

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by hammer, 8th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Got approached for the 30 millionth time today by street fundraisers....

I find the whole thing a bit crap. When you sign up to give to a charity, you give most of your money for the first year or two to the business that employs these young kids...who themselves get paid bugger all.

But then on the other hand, the charities have no choice cause hiring chuggers is the best way to fundraise.

I've worked in the Ngo sector and some are good, some are bad. There's lots of inefficiencies and too many charities to help. I can't help but think if loads of charities amalgamated, lots more money would make it to the cause as we'd be paying for less ceos, hr depattments, admin and other overheads. I suspect we'd also have less need for chuggers as there would be less organisations putting their hands out...

Anyone else here feel the same way?

luckyone, Gladys, purplecat and 4 others like this.
  2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

It's not just the street fundraisers - my blood boils when I'm walking through a large retail centre (e.g.. a Westfield complex), and the store holders who have their 'booths' in the main aisle walkways almost accost me as I'm trying to walk past them in order to get into a store.

JacM and wylie like this.
  3. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

The aggro manner that the "kids" leap out at you at certain intersections, to wash the windscreen, I hate it. They also leave a huge amount of rubbish. I also hate those booths in the shopping centre where they do accost you, I wonder how much the centre gets to allow them there, must be enough to make it worth getting customers off side.

4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Hate these pillocks. They really do charities a disservice. I'm accosted almost daily by these cretins, the latest technique is a heckle when you ignore them. I won't support a charity that uses them.

luckyone and Redwing like this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's effective at all and at times, the people are rude. Nowadays I just walk faster to avoid them :confused: no eye contacts, no words

luckyone and Bayview like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I once saw a beautiful blonde waving and smiling at me from across the street. She was standing with two other similar beauties.

I thought this was my lucky day and questioned whether I could handle all three.

So I bolted across the street only to find out she wanted me to sign up to save some marsupial rat that is on the verge of extinction.

I then walked away dejected without saying a word.

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I am surprised at you Datto......I thought you would have offered to show how to keep little rats coming into the world with a lesson in procreation ?

Bayview and datto like this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I was out of my depth dabb. Experience told me to move on.

9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

@datto don't leave us hanging here- would you have been able to handle all three????:D

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

And they're the rude ones?

Blacky likes this.
  12. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I didn't know what a "chugger" is until very recently there is a similar and much longer thread on ozbargain, in that post the OP's son, who is a student and doesn't have an income, get coerced into signing up with a charity.

My personal experience is that I signed up to Medicin San Frontier 3.5 years ago when I exiting southern cross station, 30 bucks per month, which is nothing, doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that every year I will get a call from a young person on behalf of MSF and he/she will preach and ask me to add 5 bucks more, so after 3.5 years I'm paying 45 per month now. On top of that every other month I will receive a letter from MSF asking me to donate 100 immediately (this year they increased to 120).

Their approach makes me feel uncomfortable, I feel I was being targeted and I wish they can just leave me alone.

13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

He who dares wins

datto likes this.
  14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Stand on Swanston st in Melb CBD on any given day and watch how the throngs of passers-by handle these people...

That is normal procedure for most folks...avoid eye contact and say nothing, continue walking...maybe a shake of the head as well for good measure if they take a step towards you..

Occasionally if they catch your eye , and you are obliged to respond; the same shake of the head and a "No thanks" is the reply.

Where's the rudeness in either of those strategies?

Last edited: 9th Jul, 2017
  15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You ARE being targeted. Once you are on their contact list, you will be frequently and forever hounded to give more, more, more until you explicitly contact them and request to be removed from their lists.

They do this because their greatest source of new donations is from people who have already agreed to donate in the past - especially if it's a regular donation.

I used to give to MSF and I do fully support the work they do, but I wasn't terribly happy with the constant hounding. I did eventually request to be removed from their contact database but still get the occasional letter from them requesting more money.

Ouchmyknees and legallyblonde like this.
  16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep!

We used to sponsor some kids with World Vision. We were constantly sent expensive, full colour brochures (back in the days when these things WERE expensive) asking for more & more. We figured out that the costs of them sending out all this additional mail, meant that very little was actually going towards the kids, so stopped & asked to be removed.

luckyone, Ouchmyknees and Bayview like this.
  17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

They're usually the rude one :confused:
    There were times i was in a hurry and told them I am in a hurry. They pretty much hold me there and told me to wait then walk off to another staff o_O so nowadays I just walk away before they can say hi

Bayview and dabbler like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Or ends up being slapped ( more, harder, more..... Not recommended safe words)

19. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I still want to contribute for the time being but next time if they call me I will ask to be removed from the call list.
    Yes I got the monthly brochure as well, that just annoys me to the max because there are many many trees used to printed on stuff which people are NOT going to read...

20. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

In Sydney ATM and have been approached 5 times this am and there will no doubt be more this arvo. I'm starting to become rude. Not because I want to hurt these kids, but I feel something needs to change.

Started looking them straight in the eye and saying very firmly "don't even think about it".

It's all wrong on so many levels....

luckyone likes this.