Upgrading switch board for block of units

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by See Change, 29th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We need to upgrade a switch board in a block of 4 units in Hobart . The current board is inside one of the units and we need to get a new external board.

We've been told there is a six week wait to get new switch boards made in Tasmania . does anyone know if the standards required for switch boards are the same across Australia and is this something that can be bought " off the shelf " in other states ?

For various reasons I don't want to ask the Sparkie who is meant to be doing the job

Cliff

2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

As far as I know the AS/NZS 3000 is the standard that switchboards would need to comply with, however there may be some local additional rules. Maybe contact the local electricity authority for clarification?

3. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Sparks should be able to buy an enclosure off the shelf and build it himself on site.

Or get it made pn the mainland and shipped over to you.

Tools

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The MSB isn't that complex - 3 phase board, 1 circuit for each unit, 1 more for common areas, 1 main switch.

Metering panel & meters may require replacement too.

There may be some local requirements by the power authority but AS3000 is the standard.

5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

'

You aren't going to be telling your current sparky how to do his job - so the only real choice is another quote.

However - six weeks, Christmas break, hassle of strata quote approvals... I would worry about something else and enjoy the summer holiday.

See Change likes this.