Updating bathroom tiles

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hash_investor, 4th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi, I am looking to upgrade bath tiles in my main bathroom. Everything else seems to be upgraded already but tiles weren't changed so I have decided to just replace the tiles. It is mainly because I want to clean the grout and there is a line across the tiles too as if they were hit and damaged.

Is this even possible or do I need to redo the complete renovation in the bath?

2. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Do you mean the tiles around the top of the bath (where the taps come out)?

If so, replacement is possible, with the caveat that if the tiler pulls off the old tiles and discovers a leak or similar then you may need to do a more extensive renovation - e.g. pull out the entire bath, waterproof, re-tile and replace the flooring.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Depending upon lots of things, are you able to tile over the existing? You will need to adjust doors, trims, floor waste heights, tapware, power etc but it is a lot less work (McD do it all the time to save rebuilding their toilets or kitchens.

4. hash_investor

Not something I want to do though. I just want to redo the floor and keep it one layer.

No, tiles on the floor (not the bath area as it is separate from tiles). So there are no taps around the floor it is just walking / standing area.

5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

You will have a waterproofing issue. Which means you’ll have to rip up the bathroom and start from scratch.
    Tile over tile will be the easier and cheaper option.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You'll need all new waterproofing. You can't just get rid of tiles and put new ones.

7. hash_investor

OK, will it work if I just rip the tiles on the floor do new waterproofing and put new tiles in? The walls, vanity, seat, tub and bath area are all good.

8. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Nope.

I suggest you have a chat to your local tiler and discuss options.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If it's for a unit then absolutely not. You need waterproofing certificate for strata. If your own home....I wouldn't attempt it unless you really know what your doing and your able to make sure the integrity of all the waterproofing stays intact.

10. hash_investor

My own home. Double story. Bath is upstairs.

But I don't understand what is so special about it? Why can't waterproofing be done again?

11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Water has the amazing ability to go everywhere. If you want to waterproof properly you need to do the whole area, so you can't leave the toilet, vanity etc and just go around it.

hash_investor likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it can't. I'm saying it better be done correctly with all the waterproofing integrity in that room intact. Same thing Mel is saying above.

13. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

This is just an analogy- think of waterproofing as cling film. To get a seal over a dish you need a bit extra to go over the sides to create the seal. That is, you can’t just have enough to cover the surface area of the dish.
    If you take off the old tiles in your bathroom, sure you can waterproof that area, but to do it properly, you need the extra bit. It usually goes up the wall. From what you have told us, you aren’t taking the wall tiles off, and you aren’t removing the vanity or toilet either, so the waterproofing won’t create a proper seal.
    The cost of not waterproofing properly can be serious- think of the structural damage it can cause, it may void your insurances etc.
    You may find this article useful.
    Waterproofing mistakes and best practice - Building Connection

AxeLy likes this.
  14. hash_investor

How about just re-grout? Is that as dangerous?