Updating a Timber Look Kitchen

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Up The Creek, 27th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Up The Creek

Up The Creek Member

I have a dine in kitchen in a IP apartment. I am looking to freshen up the property to prepare it for sale. The kitchen is in great condition but I am wondering about paying for a "resurfacing" job to turn this kitchen white that is currently a beech colour. Additionally I would have a tiler come in and do a subway tile splash back.

I am looking for opinions on whether to bother making changes or leave as is.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Talk to your real estate agent. How much would it cost versus how much extra would you get?

Even with a paint job, it's still somewhat a dated kitchen so is the new owner likely to rip it out anyhow?

Propin, Up The Creek and wylie like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Like @Lizzie said, there's no point in spending money on it if it won't get you a better result. Speak to an Agent and get their opinion first.

Up The Creek likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Not sure you will get the $$$ back and then someone may not like it anyway. The white appliances are bland. against a white spashback and blind. White says "budget"

Up The Creek and Lizzie like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Without updating the appliances, the kitchen will still look old and/or budget reno ... and appliances can start to get into "ching ching" territory.

Besides, the timber look is coming back

Up The Creek likes this.
  6. Soy

Soy Well-Known Member

Music to my ears. Could you elaborate this please (how you were able to form this view) thanks.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Infill the gap between the top of the cupboards and the ceiling, regrout the tiles & replace the silicon.

Up The Creek, Lizzie and KateSydney like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Reading design magazines and watching reno show

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If you really want to do something to it, you could change the handles to a more modern look, and maybe the splashback.....but I can't see you getting any more for such a subtle change.

Up The Creek likes this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If you're after a quick rejuvenate of the tiles, and if the grouting is in good condition but discoloured, you could use grout paint instead of regrouting. There are two varieties available. One is in a big tube and is good for a large area, but which covers dirty grouting less effectively and is more work, as there is more cleaning up of surrounding tiles. The other variety is a grout pen, which is more expensive for a smaller quantity, but which can be applied more quickly and effectively.

I've no idea about long-term effectiveness, but if you're selling, that's not your problem.

11. Scott No Mates

I knew there was a reason that kiddie-garter teachers make kids colour in between the lines & join the dots

geoffw likes this.
  12. geoffw

Using a grout between tiles is for the kiddies who couldn't colour in between lines on a flat piece of paper.

13. geoffw

Here's a"during" shot

upload_2021-8-26_8-49-12.jpeg

Melburnian007 and skater like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

You must have paid attention to the teacher ;)

15. Up The Creek

Up The Creek Member

Many thanks for the replies. Replacement of handles and regrout would be a reasonable DIY job if lockdown were to lift soon. I think leaving an entire kitchen replacement to the next owner is the best option I have here. There are not enough properties on the market to justify holding up a sale to much around with a spray job.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I thought it was a kitchen in my old IP at first! 09E86B1E-E123-4C25-8FD1-192CEEDDA99F.png

Up The Creek likes this.
  17. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me except for the handles and splashback which $500 will fix. Spend $144 on 24 of these 96mm handles at Bunnings and $300-350 to re-tile splashback (inc tiles). Or if you're a little bit handy you can tile it yourself, it would take 2-3 hours tops
    [​IMG]

Up The Creek likes this.
  18. Up The Creek

Up The Creek Member

I ended up having my Dad spend an hour to scrape back the top layer of grout (which in his opinion was already a bit excessive) to whiten it up. He also removed and replaced the old white sealant between tile and benchtop to give it that extra freshen up.
    Following that I found a lightly used Westinghouse rangehood for $50 which was a newer model and a better match for the updated white gas oven (the original got swapped out a few years ago).

There were a couple of GPOs which had yellowed face plates. These were also swapped out.

Thanks all for the comments. I feel that it would be wasteful going too far with this old kitchen other than just cleaning it to keep it servicable. The property might sell early next month and the new buyer might feel that they would be better to gut it. Will post next week after the RE sends through the professional shots.
    IMG_4962.JPG IMG_4963.JPG

Propin likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice