Unused swimming pool

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Hetty, 12th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

My neighbour who is lovely and in her 80s doesn’t use her swimming pool. Every time it rains (which is all the time, thanks La Niña!) there’s obviously more water. It’s currently completely full of rainwater and is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Every now and then her grandson empties it but it’s every few months if that.

What can I do to get rid of the water? A pump? I’m happy to pay if it’s not ridiculous, I want the water gone. Not going to call council, she’s lovely and I just want to help her (and obviously us - my poor kids keep getting bitten).

2. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Get a cheap sump pump with float switch and it will empty automatically every time the level rises sufficiently. It will still leave a nominal amount of water after pumping though.

Tools

standtall, Stoffo and Hetty like this.
  3. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

4. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Great. Do they use much electricity?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

None whatsoever. :D

I use one of these:
    [​IMG]
    Takes about 4-5 hours.

Probably cheaper places than this: linky

Last edited: 12th Dec, 2021
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Or you could just overdose it with chlorine ?

standtall and datto like this.
  7. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Pump Spec is 350W and max flow of 7000 litres / hour.

If it was a typical full 50,000 l pool it would theoretically drain in 7-8 hours at an electricity cost of 8x0.35= 2.8KWh (in WA this would be less than $1).

However, the pump shown doesn't look very heavy duty so not sure how long that would last.

Hetty likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What about adding kerosene to the water. If you google it, you will see that it stops the larvae from hatching. Top up regularly. Make sure nobody swims.

Google also gives other ideas...

Attached Files:

9. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

heavy and expensive! If it were for my own pool sure but probably not a go for the neighbours!

Would have to do this really often as there’s no chlorinator working away so the water would keep going back and keep needing chlorine.

Thanks, hadn’t considered that. There’s an ecosystem forming out there with frogs and stuff… I mean I feel bad but I guess it’s just as bad draining it. I’m thinking for an 80,000L pool I’d need a lot but I’ll look into it

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Suggest you ask the grandson to do something more permanent.

Stagnant water becomes a health hazard and it is only a matter of time before it is reported to authorities.

qak and wylie like this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would ask the property owner.

It’s her property, not her grandson’s.

qak likes this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Chlorine will do it. I'd use a slow release dispenser.

As kids, we used to jump in the neighbour's pool when they were out.

One day the neighbours must have overloaded the pool with chlorine. We quickly got out as our eyes were burning. My vision had a blue haze and I couldn't see 6 metres in front of me. Took many hours to recover. Never used that pool again.

13. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

It is the arse end of tool companies but the OP wanted a cheap solution and that is it. It will kick in for 2 minutes when the water rises 300mm or so so is not going to see much use.. It will be fine.

Tools

14. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

It probably is a health hazard already for the 80 year old lady.
    OP, I am no expert in pools or associated costs, but just lay a tarp over it after its been cleaned out?

standtall likes this.
  15. wylie

I know two locals who have been quite ingenious with solving a problem. Perhaps one of these scenarios might be worth investigating.

1. A friend (one in from a corner) bought the house one in from the same corner (around the corner). That house's back yard joined her side yard. She rented the house while reconfiguring the block to give her a side yard towards the back of her block. She then sold the house and kept the back yard.

When the corner house came up for sale, she bought that too. Cut off its back yard holding a pool, resold the house and now she has a large side yard with a pool and a large grass area.

2. Another friend lived next door to an old couple who loved their house, but didn't want to maintain 1000sqm. She agreed a price with them, allowing them to stay living in their house and she bought their back yard, which she used for her kids to run around on, keeping their beloved "alternative grandparents" next door.

If the lady next door doesn't want to sell, perhaps agree a price and buy her back yard and get yourself a pool?

If she doesn't want to do that, perhaps lease the pool, fence it off from her house and use it while she stays in the house. You maintain it.

Edit: If she or her family think this is a bit tricky, perhaps pay for a fence and maintain the pool with your family using it while she is living in the house (if documenting it seems too tricky).

16. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

I assume these scenario's were by subdivision which is an expensive option.

could another option be a lease, that is if @Hetty wants it formalised.
    whereas a survey sketch indicating the site is annexed to the terms.
    then just maintain the pool for your own use. (although it could come with its own set of legal liability issues)

however,
    this is probably the best option

17. wylie

I did suggest a lease, with the OP maintaining the pool, fencing it off (small cost really). That would work, but I reckon her family would veto it. There are several risks with this I would think.

My friend who bought two backyards did have expense to reconfigure the lots, but she did this probably ten or more years ago and now has a large block in a great street in Coorparoo, so the cost will have been recouped and then some.

She bought the houses (one at a time), paid the costs to reconfigure and sold both houses for more than she bought them for. I'll bet she wishes she'd held them but holding IPs isn't something they wanted to do.

18. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

so you did, don't know how I didn't see that.

I tend to agree, I have prepared a few leases for yards (rural) sheds etc, but not a pool.
    sounds like a legal nightmare to me.

I think the OP needs to bite the bullet and talk to the neighbour (or son) I'm sure they would understand

qak likes this.
  19. wylie

No drama at all. I actually also think it could be a legal nightmare.

Even putting in a gate and having my neighbour upkeep the pool in exchange for using it would freak me out if I was the old lady. I was just throwing ideas around.

qak likes this.
  20. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

We have a pool already. She uses her yard to grow fruit and veggies, she just doesn’t use the pool area.

She won’t do anything more permanent and doesn’t seem to see it as an issue. She insists there’s nothing breeding in there. It’s frustrating, she is really lovely and a good neighbour otherwise. I’ll look into that slow release chlorine, didn’t know that was a thing, thanks datto.

wylie likes this.