Units in Brisbane suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Yann, 4th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 733

733 Well-Known Member

A townhouse or villa is another good option to consider with some exclusive use land or an older home in the mid ring suburbs...they rent immediately. For apartments definitely not high rises as you have stated (although my apartment in Bulimba is boutique small and much larger than most one bedders at 80m2 however rents have been sliding backwards due to over supply in Brisbane)...my IP houses and villas rent very quickly in the current market (mid ring suburbs)...more food for thought

Yann likes this.
  2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I would agree with this. The townhouse and villa market will also give you more size/land than apartments. I would prefer them to apartments because of this. However, need to ensure that its well located. I wouldn't pick a townhouse/villa if its not well located.

Observer, Sackie and 733 like this.
  3. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

When population of Brisbane doubled?

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I dont know about doubling...but at least you need to give it enough time for the market to fully absorb the supply all then some more time for demand to outweigh supply over successive years resulting in significant capital appreciation overall. I can only see that happening in the long run for CBD unit stock...and all indications at this early point suggest that it will happen- when - dont know- all i know is that its a long term strategy. For shorter term CG, Id look at houses or townhouses/villas in well located inner-mid areas. As @RPI also said, some apartment stock for the shorter term as well- those larger, usually older, have point of difference/character, without the trappings of gym, pool, tennic court etc..= lower BC fees..= potentially higher yield. however, those will be tough to find, have high competition, and will be gone ( if priced well) in no time...especially if well located as apartments usually are.

5. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Agree, guess unit won't go up unless population increased a lot.

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Cbd units..the oversupplid ones..yes. worthwhile looking around for the other not iversupplied units as above. ..mihht be a bit tough to get it...alternatively townhouse /villa are excellent options. Need to ensure well located.this is especially true if renting it out.

7. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

if it's not high density area and have some unique character could be fine.

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yep...however you wont be the only one bidding for those :)
    I would rather just go for townhouses and villas instead. Why? Their body corp is usually lower, land content is higher, location is ,most of the time, just as good , and more internal space, more choice and less competiton to the 'character units' and most of all- the market is bigger ie in the future if you do sell, it will be more attractive to wider demographics. might be a bit more expensive purchase price though.rentability might be just a bit less..but not significantly so.
    Im generalising a bit...but not too much.

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

10. Peta Notari

Peta Notari Well-Known Member

We signed the contract on a deal in Yeronga (6kms from Brissy CBD) just before xmas 2015. Boutique complex. Infill development. Completed new build. 100m to train station and two small retail centres. Adjacent million dollar homes. 27 units in the complex.....well it wasnt sitting well with me (really) and I pulled out. That was before xmas.

Its still available for sale...still. Thats since November 2015! If not earlier.

Also, they stated the rental appraisal at $470-$490/week. My DD showed that this was far from reality. Landlords had reduced their rents to $445/week just to get a tenant with some weeks rent free and even then, it was vacant nearly 2 months!!!

Feeling satisfied I didn't proceed ;).

Have since bought an existing home in Cleveland on a large block, owner occupier vibe and close to everything, with a tenant secured prior to settlement before the first inspection and I am sleeping at night!

Whitecat likes this.
  11. Peta Notari

Peta Notari Well-Known Member

Further to the above....i just got a bad feeling about units in brissy during this period and all my DD and this wasnt in the CBD itself. its 6kms out.

12. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Units on West End riverfront selling for 150k less than purchase price.
    Refer 'waters edge' complex.
    Quite a nice complex too imo

13. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of townhouse stock in Brisbane 5-10km belt in small TH blocks on big land sizes (i.e. sat the 3-pack up to 10-pack variety).

Anything with a skerrick of exclusive yard land (a la little courtyards for th's and terraces) is a win in my book. There is also great flood-free areas in this belt (but equally as many flood-likely ones too, so be careful!!)

JDP1 and Whitecat like this.
  14. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Correct. This in my view is thr most balanced and highest averaged cagr over short, med, and long terms.