Unit in Gold Coast or house in Logan?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Deimonic, 20th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Deimonic

Deimonic New Member

Wondering which of you guys would choose to invest in?
    My budget is 340k and under, with that I could afford either a unit/townhouse/duplex in the Gold Coast or a house in Logan.
    I would plan to live in the property for a year and then later either rent it out or sell. I'd prefer to have something cash flow positive or neutral as I may be going back to uni and will not be earning much/not working during that time.

Also 340k is the max the bank will lend me however it is probably better (?) investment wise and less pressure wise for me to buy something cheaper.

2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Good luck finding a unit on the gold coast cash flow positive or neutral after strata fee's....................

Get a house in Logan with some good land size. PM me for more info on Logan.

3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

House in Logan, or better yet Goodna ;)

Northy85 likes this.
  4. MattA

MattA Well-Known Member

5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Beenleigh/Eagleby fit in the 'theory of Goodna'

There are few other LCC suburbs such as Kingston, Woodridge and Logan Central increased 20% in the last 2 years

The B and E suburb ( also a suburb in Logan LGA), increased 10% for the last 2 years.

Here are past 15 years performance 2001-2015,
    • Beenleigh 95k to 305k, 3.2 times
    • Eagleby 75k to 273k, 3.6 times.
    versus...
    • Logan Central 73k to 298k, 4.1 times
    • Woodridge 69k to 292k, 4.2 times
    • Kingston 75k to 295k, 3.9 times

The B & E suburb has not surpassed their peak in 2008/2009, exactly 10% below.

All 5 suburbs boomed and fell in similar fashion in the past cycle, hence unjustifiable for the difference in price when looking at a 15yr time frame The gap will eventually close.

BEENLEIGH
    upload_2016-3-20_19-43-45.png

EAGLEBY
    upload_2016-3-20_19-43-58.png

Tekoz likes this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I think there are people better poised than me to answer this question. My little brother just bought in Goodna, hence the blatant spruik. But others more knowledgeable than me have touted the benefits of Goodna. Comparing the two? I would have gone Goodna as well, if only for the fact that there seemed a far fewer proportion of investors in Goodna than what I hear about Logan.

7. TFBoy

TFBoy Well-Known Member

The better strata managed under $200k TH/Units will be CF positive in Logan.

However the growth wont be as good as houses. You maybe able to buy 2 with your budget, 1 PPOR 1 investment somewhere else.

8. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Bran,
    I hate to go against the source of the Goodna spruiker :p:D

When the Sydney boom, every suburb boomed. 2009-2015, they all increased an average 80-100% over the 7 year cycle.

Fast track Brisbane 5 years from now, if it does boom, every Brisbane suburb will do well. If Goodna hasn't past its peak yet, then it has alot of catch up to do.

One thing to note, is the population of Goodna + Riverview + Gailes approx equals to Woodridge (ie, one suburb in Logan LGA)

As for investor activity talk, after crunching some ownership in the last 6 months for Goodna, it's not innocent as you like it to be with 50% investor buyer ... Because the G+R+G have smaller population or dwelling count, investor can go through these suburbs very quickly until the yield is 5% then they move on.

Tekoz likes this.
  9. God_of_money

God_of_money Well-Known Member

10. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Yikes! Is that the Logan of the Gold Coast? For that price it doesn't look too bad considering how close it is to Hollywell and Paradise point and Harbour town..... Is that a fair price or under market val there? Much scope for CG in that suburb?

11. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@RetireRich101 where did you getthat data from ?
    I'm curious to know :D