QLD Under $450k Keperra/Arana Hills vs Kippa Ring/Margaret

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by new_investor, 22nd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

May be we both could be competing against each other :)

That glenmorgan street is right on the samford busy road. I like ferny grove personally due to train station, flat blocks of land over arana hills. Also keperra\ferny grove is BCC council. I missed one recently in ferny grove due to stiff competitions. In 6 months time, there wont be any good properties for < 500K around this area IMO.

Icarus likes this.
  2. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

:) I'll have to keep an eye out for you at the next open home!

Yes, Samford Rd was/is a bit noisy, but the new place on the market is away from the traffic lights and I believe, may have 2 street frontages - although accessing it off Samford Rd might be a bit tricky?

We purchased one in Keperra (4bed/2bath) 3 years ago for around the $400k mark - no chance of getting anything that cheap there now though. I agree that you'd be hard pressed to find anything below $500k in the next few months... maybe the ex-commission/defence houses, but even they aren't too bad a buy as they are solidly built.

3. new_investor

new_investor Member

Just thought I'd come back and post in the results and thank everyone for your valuable input @sash @Angel @ej89 @nth brisbanite . I ended up buying my 1st IP in Arana Hills after being rejected on many offers in Keppera/Ferny Grove/Arana Hills.
    Being interstate, I used a BA who was really good and thorough in his research.
    Property is now settled and all went smoothly(no surprises). I was also pleasantly surprised at the rental demand because it was rented on 5th day after settlement.

orangestreet, Gockie, ndpjai and 2 others like this.
  4. Muskboy

Muskboy Member

Well done! I Just bought in Ferny Grove, good to hear the rental market is strong.

5. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Congrats @Muskboy Is the property settled? Heard from a local agent that ferny grove, keperra and mitchelton are hot and even Ferny Hills/Arana hills too, anything less than 550K decent properties 4 to 5 offers in the first inspection but the vendors are insisting for second inspection and less properties in the market. Pure Supply Vs Demand

orangestreet and new_investor like this.
  6. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Yeah this pocket would have to be the most sort after (on the budget end) in Brisbane. It has really exploded over the last few years with young families not able to afford Mitchelton or The Gap yet still being able to enjoy similar conveniences and amenities. I have a place in Keperra and I would be very surprised if there is not double digit growth over the next few years. The demand is very strong.

orangestreet and Whitecat like this.
  7. Muskboy

Muskboy Member

Not settled, but unconditional.

Yes there is not much under 550k. Mine was but it is a 3 bed brick. I've seen some pretty average queenslanders go for 530k+ on a busy street with very sloping land. Being a NSW resident I just cant come to like the wooden houses, but it seems they love them up there?!

Very keen to see how the area performs over the next few years.

8. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Congrats!. I bought in Ferny hills in April, settle June 12th. Definitely high demand areas.

Whitecat likes this.
  9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Surprised this area sat under the radar a bit for such a while here ;) Some of the places that would have gone for $420k a few years ago, with a few small renos are now selling for low $500's. 20% increase in 3 years or so would have been quite tidy, and there is a bit more to come.

I think though once more places get close to $550k then growth will slow down a bit as the stamp duty concession for FHB scales back.. investors will be start to be priced out due to apra changes also.

Keperra reminds me of Mitchelton a few years ago, when it went through a big gentrification stage.

10. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Can't remember who it was but someone got up me for plugging keperra about 6 months ago saying it'd go nowhere

11. Inov8ive

There were a few people knocking it a year or so ago but seem to be very silent now.

dan2101 likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

They grow on you! I became fond of them after a little while. So much character.

Whitecat likes this.
  13. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

What info do you have on the north brisbane transport corridor?

14. Whitecat

I was not one of the ones knocking Keperra and I still would not knock it but what people need to know is it is a high rental suburb it is popular with investors and so that is a factor the second one is the high amount of public housing.
    I would buy there. But it will take a number of years before The investors and the public housing is relatively replaced by owner occupiers.
    In terms of position it's great so this will happen. But I wouldn't expect to see the same level of capital gains as I would of some surrounding suburbs that are less of an investor emphasis (eg Mitchelton). I think it will take one or two more cycles before the value of Keperra really jumps based on it's position serviced by the train that will really make it owner occupier and you get those nice upgrades and subsequent cg boosts.

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hi Whitecat
    It was in the North West News maybe six months ago. I probably kept the article but I cant locate it atm. Have a look on the Dept Main Roads website for arterial road works or similar. Apparently there was discussion about whether to build a light rail in the transport corridor from around Alderley/Enoggera to Bald Hills/Strathpine or just to build another road. There was a public meeting at Everton Park or Stafford, I think. Unfortunately I couldn't get to it. Tim Mander's office would probably know.

North West Transport Corridor (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

Whitecat likes this.
  16. Whitecat

Yes I have heard whispers about this for years I really hope they go light rail that would be an absolute asset for Brisbane. In fact it would be stupid if they don't but I have seen some funny things happen that are quite nineteen fifties in terms of the sort of planning.
    I will follow up this is a good one to advocate for

Angel likes this.
  17. Inov8ive

Yeah thats a fair comment. Investors do favour Keperra over owner occupiers and all the surrounding suburbs are very much OO areas. Mitchelton, Everton Hills, Ferny Hills etc. But i believe the ripple will take Keperra along for the ride. Mitchelton is currently around 20% or so more expensive than Keperra and its next door. If Mitchelton goes up another 20% in the next few years which i believe it will, I cant imagine Keperra not getting a similar kick.

orangestreet and ndpjai like this.
  18. Whitecat

Refer to somersoft threads from 10 years ago they are almost saying the same sort of thing about Keperra.. it was an investors favourite back then also as it was seen as good value.
    I think probably needs a big shift in the public housing to make a real difference otherwise it will just keep chugging along with similar gains to neighbours but not quite catching up for a few years.
    I think it depends on how Queensland does overall economically there is more capacity for the suburb to do a catch up in a boom as it forces people to look at the cheaper options.

dan2101 likes this.
  19. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Just had a quick look at domain for properties for sale in keperra. Of the first 15 the cheapest is $549k. Big step up from a year ago. I've noticed a lot are coming on the market without a price as well. Interesting times.

orangestreet likes this.
  20. InnerNorth

InnerNorth New Member

Out of curiosity, which BA did you go with?