under 15m frontage duplex Bankstown?

Discussion in 'Development' started by stevenn, 8th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're awfully busy on days ending in 'y'.

2. Jedee

Jedee Member

I admit my knowledge on this is very limited so my apologies for that first of all - however the DCP states that the two dwellings on a corner block face a different frontage. Therefore with my current land parcel having a frontage of 14m and depth of 40m, I am hoping we can have a design (and infact someone in our neighborhood did this (albeit with a 16m frontage) where dwelling A faced the main street and took up the entire frontage, behind that they have an attached dwelling B facing the side street. I hope my description makes sense...

Or put another way, split the 14x40 parcel in half so that you have two parcels one which is 14 frontage 20m depth, the other facing the side street will be 20m frontage, 14m depth

3. Scott No Mates

Have a look at the Bankstown DCP

4. Jedee

Jedee Member

Hi Scott. Yes I did and the two points I could find was the one this thread is created on re: min 15m frontage. The other point I found relevant was the point regarding corner blocks with dwellings facing different frontages. Beyond that I cannot find anything further that will provide clearer guidance on whether this is possible or not. If you are aware, can you point me to the clause or section as I would greatly appreciate that my friend!!

Thanks

Jedee

5. Scott No Mates

There are several clauses on setbacks including corner blocks & dual occupancy.

LINKY =====> DCP, refer S4 pg 16

LINKY =====> LEP, refer cl 4.1a

Last edited: 29th May, 2017
  6. Jedee

Jedee Member

Okay thankyou I will have to do some more reading...thanks mate much appreciated

7. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

I checked the LEP and clause 2 (a) says:

NSW Legislation

(2) Development consent must not be granted to development for the following purposes:
    (a) a dual occupancy (attached) on a lot in Zone R2 Low Density Residential unless the lot has an area of at least 500 square metres and is at least 15 metres wide at the front building line.

What is the front building line, is that the gutter or just inside the footpath if any?

For an irregular shape cul-de-sac property it is wider as you go in more. In fact mine if you go in 1m more from just a little inside the footpath, it will no doubt past the 15m mark. 2m in and it'll be around 16-17m. So what does the building line actually means?

8. Scott No Mates

Building line is where the building is built ie pg 6 of the DCP measured from street frontage to face of building. If you have a 5.5 m setback this is from your front boundary (where the front fence can be positioned).

9. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

Thank you. So if my irregularly shaped land is quoted with a 14.19m frontage what would that be measured from, and if the building line is 5.5m setback would they still consider the 14.19m frontage even though at that distance inwards I would have around 18m?

10. Scott No Mates

A town planner could argue the case as the frontage (measured at the boundary is only 14.2m) but land size may help the argument. How big is the block?

11. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

It is 733.5 sqm. I'm so not looking forward to Winter when the grass grows so quick!

12. Scott No Mates

My grass stopped growing weeks ago, I mow to pick up the leaves. :p

13. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

What are my chances of asking to speak with a town planer by rocking up to one of 6 properties currently being knocked down and building commenced up and down my small street?

14. Jedee

Jedee Member

Have you searched for their DA's on the council ePlanning tool? If you're in luck you can view their documents that are uploaded there.

Other councils also appear to have a free consultation service with their Duty Planners to provide free high level advice and guidance. Shame that I can't see anything like this for Canterbury-Bankstown but I will try again and advise if I have any luck.

Otherwise if you just rock up they might be friendly enough to give you advice. Especially as for the private planners or builders it could potentially bring them more business.

15. Scott No Mates

All councils have a duty planner. However you're better off rocking up with some concept plans, survey etc to paint a picture.

A prelodgement meeting may also be required.

Council's don't go out seeking additional business.

16. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

I have checked the DA for my street and can see the current developements but no documents.
    There is one Applicant on one of the DA which is a company which could be of interest. I might ring them.

As for meeting with council for prelodgement, they won't allow due to the fact that frontage is less than 15mm. Default deny.

17. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

So i called up an architect who designed one of the builds on my street. I have been advised that the setback of 5.5m will put me well over 15m and that i will be able to build a duplex. A positive news.

18. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Yes, councils now are being very obstructive, contrary to what the NSW planning dept says... My dealings with Bankstown has never been good, days before getting a call back, if it ever comes.

Contradictory information from different duty planners and none of it is binding anyway.

If you have the architect on board then maybe put the DA together and force council to make a decision. Pre-lodgements are mainly a forum for council to discourage development and make some money.......IMHO :)

19. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

Do you think the town planers and architects/builders have their hands in everything (together)? If so it's no wonder there are duplexes that gets build in under 2 months and others 2 years and not a brick being laid.

20. Scott No Mates

Pretty hard to get a duplex up in 2 months (no matter how much prefabrication/off-site fabrication) - 6 months is still pretty good.