Ugly streets in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by ATANG, 25th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Is it just me or has anyone felt the same that many of Melb high streets are so....ugly? I been to quite a few of the so called "high st" in different suburbs like Richmond, Brunswick, Preston, Hawthorn, Camberwell and found that many of them tend to have either graffiti, old dirty façade and some even look like going to break apart. Is that uniquely Melbourne style trying to be hippy?

In Adelaide we have like Unley rd, prospect rd where shops get renovated and cleaned and look tidy. In Sydney, there are hips of modern poshy streets like in Paddington, Double bay, etc. But I haven't seen one in Melb. Perhaps the most modern ones are in the city.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not just you. I though that too on my last visit. It's certinaly a grungy urban vibe :)

It was the increase in graffiti that surprised me. It seems like there is a lot more than last visit.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Blame the gummint. Everyone else does ;)

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not graffiti! Cultural Street Art man!

The Y-man

SerenityNow likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Actually, I was referring specifically to graffiti (i.e. 'tags'), not Cultural Street Art, I know the difference ;). I like all the Art in the laneways around the CBD.

What I don't like is seeing 'tags' done by every man and his dog on the industrial building along the train line. Cultural Street Art takes talent and (IMO) is aesthetically appealing. On the other hand, 'graffiti' (tags) takes no talent and (IMO) is ugly.

6. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I was told that San Fran and London is a little like that. Has anyone been to any? lol

Btw, have also found the city is getting a lot dirtier than last visited. So many particles in the air flying around, can really see them during sunny days....

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Agree - tags suck!

The Y-man

8. Perthguy

As opposed to grungy urban street art, which is awesome! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's annoying when vandals tag good art:

[​IMG]

9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@ATANG you should try brighton, toorak, armadale etc. there places more refined. The areas you have indicated besides hawthorn and camberwell which i find it strange you said there is grafitti have previously been gentrified over the years. A lot of interesting comments, from badly design units or apartments in melbourne and also the comparision btw malaysia, melbourne, adelaide. Look KL is far worst if you ask me