Types of damage from lighting strikes?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Pheasant, 10th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pheasant

Pheasant Member

Howdy,

I'm purchasing in the ACT, had an offer accepted and was about to exchange contracts, but murphy's law occurred and the property was struck by lighting. I haven't been advised of how much damage has occurred, but I took a drive by and the electricity meter box is well and truly busted.

The seller has lodged an insurance (held by body corporate – it's a standalone townhouse) claim which I will be pushing to see, and I'll be asking to do a visual inspection. Both those will allow myself to figure out if I want to move forwards with the purchase or not, but in the mean time I'm trying to brainstorm everything that could have been damaged:

• Required – Electricity meter box replacement
    • Possible – Internal rewiring
    • Possible – Repairs to roof (tiles, etc)
    • Possible – Air conditioner, hot water system, oven and dishwasher replacements
    • Possible – PowerPoint replacements

I'm not too fussed about the electrical side of things (although I know the insurer will replace everything with cheap junk), but the property has high ceilings with a pitched roof so I'm concerned the trusses could be damaged. It would be really expensive if the roof started sagging a few years down the road – I don't see how the trusses could be inspected without removing the roof tiling either.

I'll be discussing this with my solicitor today, but can anyone spot anything I might have missed in terms of potential damage impact?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Solicitor will have no idea. Timbers wont be damaged unless burnt. Did vendor have insurance repairs? Get info since most insurers give warranty

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Service mains from the street to the house.
    • Earth stake
    • Flux capacitor
    • Alarm
    • Solar system
    Roof can be inspected from within the roofspace

Why would the insurer replace components with anything other than the same standard?