two weeks to settlement - freaking out

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by starfish_99, 1st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. starfish_99

starfish_99 Well-Known Member

After waiting a week to get a 'no' from NAB due to that unpaid bill, the broker spoke to BoM and ANZ about our situation prior to applying, both said that the only way to get this approved is if the loan and the contract of sale were only in my name.

Broker says BOM processing times are quicker, so I had my lawyer amend the contract sale and applied there via the broker. I should get a result monday, and THEN i need to get the valuation and LMI approved...meanwhile the clock is ticking..

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

First thing to do when looking for property? Finance. Lawyer. Inspector. Not looking at property.

Skinman likes this.
  3. starfish_99

That's what we did, got pre-approval from Macquarie. but their rates for 90% LVR are 3.2%

We got a property lawyer first as well. C'mon, with my income this shouldn't be hard for a bank.

You need to earn at least a mil/year to be treated with any respect by banks, I hate 'em

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Letting a bank dictate your ownership structure is not good. Couldn't your spouse just pay the bill? Prob a bit late now tho

5. starfish_99

They've literally said they don't trust her character, and her repaying it now would only seem like she's doing it to get a loan.

6. Terry_w

Most unusual

Perthguy likes this.
  7. starfish_99

I'm tending to blame the broker at this point, this is all what he told me, and the resultant strategies have been suggested by him.

8. Terry_w

What the unpaid bill large?

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yeah - but not paying it is worse, surely?

10. Trainee

Dont understand this. She missed an optus bill back in 2015. These bills tend to be monthly. So why wasnt the amount paid the next month? Why is it still unpaid after 5 years?

11. starfish_99

We moved overseas for a couple years. Her phone got stolen, and she'd never relocated before. So she stopped getting mailed bills and stopped paying them

Anyhow, I earn 6 times more than her. I'm sick of the process of getting a simple OO loan given my current income and monthly savings, and low monthly expenses.

it's insulting through and through

12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

In business, while it is fine to be assertive, I have never found arrogance nor aggression brings out the best in people and outcomes.

I am getting the feeling this could be happening, from the tone of some of your posts.

I could be wrong but ...

Lindsay_W likes this.
  13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Whats her score ?

ta
    rolf

14. Trainee

Should a broker check, or ask the borrower to check, credit reports as part of the initial assessment these days?

15. Terry_w

It's good to know these things up front but often the borrower doesn't know

Lindsay_W likes this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

IMHO Please understand from a bank's view, there are several red flags here.

You state that you could easily handle the loan - which is great, but you state your income is heavily weighted towards you (i.e. she does not earn as much). Combined with a credit blip, as lender, I would be worried for instance that you may part ways (unfortunately it happens a lot) and that their may be issues of where the property ends up - eg may end up in the hands of the ex-wife, who may then have trouble paying loans etc.

So as I see it, it is nothing personal, just plain risk identification and mitigation - ESPECIALLY after the royal commission that put the banks through the wringer for writing loans to people "who could not afford it". So it is safer to say no, that have some trouble down the line, and have the regulator come down like a ton of bricks for writing a loan into a situation that was highly geared and only one of the partners could potentially meet the loan repayments.

For that reason, I believe it is much LESS riskier (for them) if the prop and loan is under your name only.

The Y-man

Lindsay_W and kierank like this.
  17. Lucki

Lucki Well-Known Member

So did you find the broker from these forums? If not, why not?

I wouldn’t panic just yet, and wouldn’t worry about what had happened already. Speak to your broker and figure out a way to best use the remaining 2 weeks. If you think your broker is part of the problem - change them now. In the meantime, word up the selling party about potential extension to settlement.

You mentioned you have pre-approval from Macquarie. Why don’t you progress this to settlement and refinance to another lender later on? Surely a slightly higher interest rate for a few months is nothing compared to all the stress you are going through now. Moreover, 3.2% @90% LVR is not bad at all.

Lindsay_W, wylie and Terry_w like this.
  18. starfish_99

UPDATE: now this is beyond ridiculous...I followed Barefoot and got rid of my unlimited platinum AMEX a year ago. I instead got a low interest card with a stupidly low limit (1.5k).

The bank asks for statements for this toy CC and then ask "WHY ARE THERE DECLINED TRANSACTIONS?" lol, that's the entire point of setting up buckets of spending, to place limits on your budget...

My main anger is with credit rating agencies, they penalise you for shopping around, yet don't record any useful positive info (not even with CCR). Your credit file rarely says when close a credit an account, when you pay all your bills on time, or when you pay your monthly rent like a swiss clock.

19. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

It's not a requirement but I do it to avoid situations like this, too many people either don't know or don't disclose all the info so best to find out before any application is submitted

20. starfish_99

Yeah I work in cybersecurity and suffered identity theft. I've got alerts configured on all my credit files.
    I was a naive online shopper back 2015, and didn't know how anti-competitive banks are by nature and how shopping around trashes your credit file. It's really quite ironic, how market dynamics apply everywhere except to consumer financial products.

luckyone and Lindsay_W like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia