two birds, one stone

Discussion in 'Development' started by sandyfeet, 22nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

long time, no post!

it's been a while since i've updated here. 2017 was a busy year for us and we had a few delays. we took a longer planning pathway of doing the DA for the 1st dwelling + subdivision, then waiting to have the new block registered. following this we could put the DA in for the 2nd dwelling.

we finally got all approvals done late 2017. we also had to have the builder quote again as we made a few changes.

we got finance approved last week. the advantage of having two seperate lots registered meant we were able to have vals completed on two seperate titles. the vals came in @$450,443 for each dwelling. borrowing a maximum of 80% gave us the exact amount we required for the build! so for a $760k project we only put in about $90k,

a few of the steps we've taken the past 9 months:

• Lodged Integrated DA for subdivision and single dwelling with council - to avoid need for stormwater detention basins
    • Bushfire zone - BAL 40 (part) s100 bushfire assessment supported DA - DA referred to RFS, provided additional information as requested
    • Lodged Subdivision certificate with council
    • Surveyor lodged subdivision with LPI
    • Solicitor - Bank approved subdivision; produced certificate of title to LPI for the purpose of subdivision
    • Once subdivision registered with LPI, lodged second DA for single dwelling in the newly created lot
    • final approvals
    • finance approved
    builder has already cut out the block and is waiting for a construction certificate which should be done next week and then its on with the footings and the build! he is expecting to be complete by may/june

numbers haven't changed much, but in summary:

land + fees + build + interest = $765K
    value = $900k on bank vals ($1 mill agents opinion)
    rent = $480 each
    LVR on banks vals = 74.6%

still learning, still going

cheers,

MTR and Sackie like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Tight margins but it's a learning process. All the best with it and would love to see pics as you progress.

3. sandyfeet

first slab down, rain prevented the second slab getting done last week,
    upload_2018-3-27_11-26-15.png
    upload_2018-3-27_11-26-35.png
    upload_2018-3-27_11-26-42.png
    upload_2018-3-27_11-26-51.png

Westminster likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Now it starts to get really exciting seeing it all come to fruition!

5. sandyfeet

A mate took a few pics of the progress. Not the best light so hard to see the true colours,

anyway its all coming together, looking at a late august completion

Attached Files:

6. sandyfeet

a bit more progress! nice to see how the exterior all comes together

everything going along well at the moment. tilers starting this week.

it was good timing with my visit as the first day i was there the painter had the wrong eve colour and the next day the island bench in the kitchen was too close to the wall and needed to be shifted over

otherwise all fine

IMG_20180716_115127.jpg IMG_20180716_115134.jpg IMG_20180716_123948.jpg IMG_20180717_155208.jpg

Tranquilo, Westminster and Sackie like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That's a lovely big island bench. How long is it?

PS Lovely site model :)

8. sandyfeet

Thanks WM,

The island bench is 3m, it was moved over 200mm to give a 1.3m gap to the bench where the fridge will go. We didn't extend it right to the edge of the kitchen on the left as it would have felt tight against the wall heading into 2nd lounge and bedrooms

9. sandyfeet

getting close to completion now.

inside is complete, fencing and turfing getting done over the next week, final retaining wall done at front this week also.

we have a tenant ready to go in one @$460 pw

agent had a walk through and estimated a sale price in todays market between $550-580k each

Jez likes this.
  10. sandyfeet

This is barely believable! I'll relay the short version

So I received the occupation certificate Wednesday and had tenants moving in today (for one house). I went to disconnect the power to the house they were moving in to and origin energy tell me there is no connection to that house to disconnect, I told them there was electricity to the house and I had an account where I could see all the details online and had paid bills.

I contact the builder and he gets onto the sparky. Sparky has a look and meters had not been connected to either house. Apparently there is a private company in charge of all meter installations in the area and they had sent him all the paperwork to say it was done.

I passed this onto origin energy and they said all information they have says there is a meter connected to one house but not the other. I told them there is no meter on either house and they suggest sparky take another look. I didn't bother as both builder and sparky had checked.

This afternoon, origin send an email with the photo evidence that the meter had been connected. It was not my house! It had the correct meter number but the wrong NMI for my account. It is a house for another build the electrician is working on.

In summary:
    I have electricity to both house but no meters
    I am paying the bill for someone 20 kms away

Wow. and it had been a great experience till AFTER occupation certificate was issued,

Im sure there will be more to come on this one!

Ethan Timor likes this.
  11. sandyfeet

on a more positive note...
    image.jpg IMG_20181003_084148.jpg IMG_20181003_084209.jpg IMG_20181003_113124.jpg IMG_20181003_113202.jpg IMG_20181003_113540.jpg IMG_20181003_113610.jpg IMG_20181003_114141.jpg IMG_20181003_114407.jpg

12. sandyfeet

following on from a month ago and nothing has happened! Ive had contact with the electrician who says he has done all he can and that it has been passed on to the head honcho at the company that organises and installs the meters - if this was the case I believe they would have this sorted very quickly.

The only contact I have with the electrician is when I call him and I hear nothing from him, i feel he has rinsed his hands of this and he even passed on the details of his contact for me to deal with. I contacted this guy who says he has made progress but I haven't heard what the progress is and I haven't heard from him for two weeks.

Tenants are in both of these houses and essentially we are stealing power. I just want to get this resolved and I can only think my next move is to contact and seek advice from the power provider in the area - though the very first thing the sparky said when I alerted him there were no meters was that if they find out he could lose his licence - if this was the case I feel he would be doing everything in his power (pardon the pun) to resolve the issue?

I'm also worried about myself in all this, but I did organise NMIs well in advance, then received and paid bills for the account attached to a different house (unknowingly until origin tried to prove it was the correct house - which it wasn't) - so until I tried to cancel the power for the new tenant, I knew nothing was wrong,

any advice appreciated
    @Westminster @Perthguy @Leo2413 @Shahin_Afarin

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Hi Sandyfeet,

I completely missed this thread but congrats on the development.

I dont quite understand what the issue is but I would try and get in touch with Jimena and find out whats going on. Often the service provider (in this case origin) isn't particularly helpful so its best to go straight to the source.

sandyfeet likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.