Two bad reviews in one day, ouch...

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Ouchmyknees, 27th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Bad review 1:
    The guest wanted a 6pm check-out in exchange for a 5 star review, my standard check-out is 10am. I told him I can only let him know on the check-out day if a late check-out is available. (In case there is a last minute check-in). Eventually he extended one day to guarantee the late-check out but he left me a 4-star review, and in the private feedback he said something like "You should have give me the late check-out." Wow what a bully.

Bad review 2:
    This comes as a shock, the guest and his friend stayed for two nights with no dramas. When they checked out they left me a 1 star review saying there is ants, mold, unstable wifi and chocolate on the sofa (wait what?). We have 22 reviews in this property and this is the only negative feedback about cleanness (well strictly speaking one other guest mentioned in the review there was dust underneath the bed.)
    Anyway, I have drafted a response along the line of "We regret the property does not meet XXX's expectation. We are unable to identify any mold or ant inside the property but we have already upgrade the wifi so future guests will have a better experience with internet connection."
    Then I did some research about how best to respond to a bad review, quite a few hosts mentioned that it is better not to respond as it gets buried with other positive reviews and if I provide a response, the bad review will stand out since I don't respond to reviews in public.
    So what other hosts think of this? Should I or should I not to respond?

While doing research, I found this gem, the lady's response is truly epic (not).
    Guest wrote horrible lying review, after I offer... - Airbnb Community

Elives and Redwing like this.
  2. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Cant comment on whether or not to respond but your reference to upgrading the wifi validates one of their issues, then gives some weight to their other concerns.

TMNT and Ouchmyknees like this.
  3. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

As an airbnb user (never a host), I feel that a professional/polite response to bad reviews shows that you take hosting seriously and considered their comments for how to improve the property. It is difficult when a review talks about dust under the bed... what the.....

I have seen responses to positive reviews and its usually to the effect of 'thank you for your kind review, enjoy your travels'... I don't feel this adds to the reviews much.

aussieB, WattleIdo and Ouchmyknees like this.
  4. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you are always going to get a small percentage of people that have unrealistic expectations and will try and use the ratings system against you, in regards to the late check-out at 6pm.
    They may have even done it on other occasions and gotten away with it as most airbnb owners are petrified of bad comments or for not getting the full amount of stars

We have been doing short term(holiday) lets for over 9 years and unfortunately there is a very small percentage that will complain no matter what .
    We dont use airbnb and have it managed by a local company that has their own website and are on Stayz and a few others, they handle the responses and are very diplomatic about it.
    When there is any sort of issue they will deal with it immediately, but some will still complain.
    Some even see themselves as "critics" and will look for very minor things to complain about, up to the point that they are not doing a good review unless they can find something to complain about.
    Fortunately they are a very small minority.
    One thing I learnt from over 20 years in the hospitality industry , is that you can try and please most of the people most of the time , but it is extremely difficult to try and please all the people ,all the time .

Pentanol, Ouchmyknees, Biz and 2 others like this.
  5. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Especially when trying to keep one's sanity in check.

Hopefully visitors who are looking at the property look at everything in perspective, where the negative reviews dim into the background.
    I raise my eyebrows when looking at places (hotels, airbnb, whatever) and the comments are 'ok, but a little dated...' - were they looking for a ritz experience while searching for places at pub/hotel prices??? :rolleyes:

Ouchmyknees and Perthguy like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your response to the late check out is either you can extend till 2pm or we will keep your luggage in XXX locked room (if you have luggage storage facilities) or if it extends beyond a few hours you will be charged a night's accommodation.

Jacque, WattleIdo and Ouchmyknees like this.
  7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I would write the response. I always take the vendor/owners response into consideration and Im less likely to dismiss something if the response adequately addresses the concerns raised.

WattleIdo, Ouchmyknees and wylie like this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I agree.

And I avoid places where the owner has posted an angry response to a criticism.

Perhaps prefix with something like

"Thank you for your review. We are sorry that not everything was to your satisfaction. We have always worked hard to ensure that our place is as good as we can make it, and will endeavour to correct these issues in future".

wylie, See Change and Ouchmyknees like this.
  9. Ouchmyknees

Hello all, thanks a million for all your contribution. I've drafted and posted a response as below. Thanks @geoffw for providing the wordings, it is too good not to use it.

Dear XXX, we are saddened to learn that not everything was to your satisfaction in your first Airbnb experience. We have always worked hard to ensure that our place is as good as we can make it, and as with all our guests, we will take your feedback on board to make us better next time. Danke Schoen!

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't really like that if you don't actually agree with what they said. You can be polite without just folding on things you disagree with.

11. geoffw

I prefer sorry to saddened.

Perhaps add something like "we have taken action on those issues we have been able to find".

See Change and Ouchmyknees like this.
  12. Ouchmyknees

That must be the lawyer in you. :) I don't want to appear to be defensive or in disagreement with the guest in anyway, because after all my audience is future guests, not him. I guess what I'm aiming to do is to demonstrate that I'm being diplomatic with a nitpicking guest who talks BS. I'm not sure if this response and my other 5 star reviews will paint the picture.

13. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Respond by saying the guest was rude and left skid marks in your toilet. Give the guest a rating of 1x star!

14. geoffw

Too late to rate the guest. That's always done before the ratings are revealed.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  15. thatbum

Except if I was a guest and didn't see the host actually correct the record, I would assume the bad review was actually valid. You can certainly be diplomatic and still have your side of the story. I've seen quite a few good examples on airbnb from other hosts.

WattleIdo and Ouchmyknees like this.
  16. Ouchmyknees

Yep I was way too nice to this guest despite him left after the check-out hour, left the floor very dirty and locked the key inside the studio. I even give him a five star review...I'm very reluctant to give bad reviews to guests, but I think I have learnt my lesson. Issues about guests should be included in the review to warn other hosts.

Perthguy and jim1964 like this.
  17. Ouchmyknees

Would you be able to share an example? Thanks a lot!

18. thatbum

Unfortunately, I can't seem to search for the bad reviews or responses on any listing, so probably not.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thankyou for your valuable feedback. Unfortunately, we were unable to accomodate your time specifications on this visit as we have to consider other guests. Nevertheless, we're glad you enjoyed your stay and certainly look forward to seeing you next time. :)

Anyway, 4 stars gives a little authenticity. If everyone gave 5 stars, I'd be a bit suspicious.

20. geoffw

I had one recently. It was extremely cheap, and the room was clean. However the unit was shared with male students. There was washing hanging everywhere, dishes piled on the sink (some with food) and the bath hadn't seen a scrub for several years.

"While the room itself was clean and comfortable, the shared areas could do with some cleaning up".

I didn't want to give it a bad rating because the guys were really nice and it looked like they needed the money - but I couldn't let it go without saying something. On the private message part of the reviewing process, I told them the place needed a lot of cleaning up, professionally if possible.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.