Trust the last selling price

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by hash_investor, 7th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Last sold price is one of the factors I consider while making an offer on a property. How trustworthy these figures are in your opinion. I am asking this because a potential buy I am looking into is for sale for much less than the last sold price. The owner is willing to negotiate further down and apparently will sell approx. $100K less than he bought it for. Which is quite astonishing for me. It is unbelievable he paid that much for the property, is there a chance the last sold price may be rigged?

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2016
  2. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

It could be incorrect but you could take a look at comparable properties that were sold around the same time to get an idea if that was the correct market price.

3. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

It might have been subdivided since it was last sold and he's selling less of it.

4. hash_investor

No, no chance

5. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

I believe it varies by state as to where the data comes from, but typically its from a state government register, so its fairly reliable.

Keep in mind though that there are situations where a person may want to be selling an asset between parties or structures (trust, smsf, etc) at an artificial price. Typically its below market value (stuff like $1 sales in most states do typically trigger a review for stamp duty, but not for capital gains.. good way of transferring wealth) I can't think of a tidy scenario why someone would want to shift an asset above market val / incur stamp duty above market val, but I'm sure there are scenarios where it could make sense.

Kashmir likes this.
  6. hash_investor

I can think of builders transferring to themselves to create a market for their stock.

I know a builder selling their stock at above market prices but not able to do that due to unavailability of existing sales in the complex. They are now reaching some BAs to get them to sell their homes after two agents failed to sell any of their stock.

7. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

The scenario I'm imagining is is person A sells property to person B at above market rate.
    • Person A claims the 6 year CGT exemption on it, so the above market rate $$ has minimal impact to them
    • Person B pays slightly more on stamp duty (but a fairly negligible difference)
    • Person B sells asset at market rate, generating a loss on the asset versus the purchase price and deducts loss from income/other profit.
    I'm not sure if this would actually work or not or whether its legal but I can't think why it wouldn't be.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Could be a myriad of reasons - desperate to sell, non-disclosed defects, over paid, no capital growth, bought site unseen in hot market/timing, otp purchase prior to market turning sour, inflated sales price (with rent guarantee or other benefit to purchaser), related party sale etc.

MTR likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

is it Perth? market has been falling...

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So is the sky ;)

sanj likes this.
  11. hash_investor

No. Queensland

12. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Over paying is quite common. Do not let it influence you or your offer. Markets change and even though it is 100k less than previous sale price does not make it necessarily a bargain. What is selling now and how does it compare?

13. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hey @hash_investor,

When was the last purchase price date?
    What source are you getting the last sold price from?
    Also, what does $100K equate as a % of purchase price?