Trust for Property and Assets

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by Ron, 16th Oct, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Hiya All,

Long-time lurker here and have posted before. I have residential property (outright ownership) and the usual shares, cash etc that I want to put in a Trust for protection against potential future claims by any entity/body/partner or getting sued over anything etc. Just simple protection where I own nothing but control the Trust where my assets are. I don't know my future and its wise to have this I think.

Single no partner, kids or younger siblings who I could list as beneficiaries etc.

What Trust structure is worth setting up and what have people in my scenario done? I want to have full control of all my assets in a Trust or similar structure and be the sole beneficiary and be able to sell, migrate all assets back into my ownership at will, cash out whenever I need etc.

I understand I will be asked to seek legal advice which I will, but forums like these are extremely helpful for initial consideration and thoughts hence my post. Cheers

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Do the risks of getting sued (business? Directorships?) outweigh the costs of creating the structures, stamp duty, capital gains tax and loss of principal place of residence CGT exemption?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

How will it provide protection?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia