True Story - Even Good Tenants Can Go Bad

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by kierank, 28th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Nurses get paid crap.

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Normal break lease, not all tenants agree to break lease terms but they are what they are whether the tenant agrees or not. Don't get involved in other people's perceptions and drama.

Give her 48 hours to do the minor cleaning jobs and remove her stuff (no drama if she does not)

Arrange for it to be done

Add to break lease costs.

The property should have been advertised with scheduled inspections as soon as break lease was announced.

Forget about it, not a bad tenant she has a different opinion but it doesn't matter you don't need tenants approval to charge break lease costs.

kierank likes this.
  3. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I suppose the tenant rightly or wrongly felt the need to act fast.
    If its tenanted again quickly then going to the tribunal is a little extreme but they would most likely rule in her favour providing she can demonstrate hardship etc.
    That's what's great about having a PM to manage these situations, you don't have to solve everyone's problems.

kierank likes this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Spot on.
    We are doing all that you have suggested above. Tossing her stuff in the bin, doing a bond clean, etc in the coming week.

Already had two rental OFI and I have seen one application is the PM's folder.

Once we have a new tenant, we will know the total cost. Our PM will use the bond return and claim the rest (if any) on insurance.

My intention was to share how a really good tenant (of a number of years) can go bad (break lease, not pay rent, not clean property on vacating, etc) in a very short time. And I would never expect this from our vacating tenant.

What I didn't realise was that a number of PC members know our tenant a lot better than me.

RetireRich101 and Xenia like this.
  5. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    So 75k a year is crap?

Edit- Either way the fact that a nurse is in her 60's and still renting indicates that she's made some poor financial decisions in her life. I can't imagine being on the aged pension and still having to rent.

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2016
    kierank likes this.
  6. Newyproperty

Newyproperty Well-Known Member

She's not a bad tenant, but certainly she lost some manners while exiting the property.

Regardless of you personal situation, as a tenant or landlord, you should act respectfully to each other.

I had a tenant give me 3 days notice before breaking the lease (and thats only because my PM called them for something unrelated). I don't have landlords insurance so chased the bond and got the full amount.

The terms of the lease are there for a reason.. to protect both parties.

kierank likes this.
  7. kierank

Being a such a good tenant, we would love to keep her on. She filed with QCAT, told our PM she was leaving and she vacated (without a forwarding address).

The tenant is going to QCAT. The insurance company has advised we are following the right process. I am following the PM and insurance company advice.

8. Newyproperty

and so you should.

she has the right to claim hardship and you have the right to claim the insurance. The insurance company would surely want you to go down the path of trying to get the bond first.

kierank likes this.
  9. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Just based on what you told us in the original post ;)

10. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are making some of this up.
    Initial post said you were relying on the Tenant making the application to QCat.
    Now you are saying the tenant made the application before she told the PM????????????

Whatever the title of the thread should be changed to " Fairweather Landlord Gone Bad"

I have never heard a story in which the narrator deserves such a negative outcome.
    I duly hope that you are ruled harshly against and you end up with a bad tenant to restore your disturbed perspective.

Torturing a pensioner, fair dinkum, give yourself an uppercut. :oops:

11. kierank

I don't know whether she was married and divorced or never married.

I don't know whether she had children.

I don't whether she years spent out of the workforce raising a family.

I don't know her superannuation balance or how much she requires for a comfortable old age.

I don't know whether she is stressed to the max.

By the way, for the record, I don't know whether she is gay, whether she has grey hair, black hair, what her bank accounts are, what her job scale/pay was as a nurse, whether she was a NUM (nursing unit manager), a theatre nurse, etc, ...

I don't know whether any of the above applies to our tenant. In my opinion, it doesn't matter.

12. kierank

That's a bit harsh :) :)

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2016
  13. kierank

It has gone way past what I said. Re-read the thread.

14. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Ouch.
    That's right, you don't know these things about her but in one post you make assumptions about her ability to get a new job, how much superannuation she should have by now and even how much money she should have on hand.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't recoup out of pocket expenses from the bond and then insurance, I absolutely think you should, but as others have said this doesn't sound like a good tenant gone bad but a very good tenant in a bad situation.

kierank likes this.
  15. Newyproperty

How is he torturing a pensioner?

RetireRich101 and kierank like this.
  16. kierank

Read my initial post. To make it easier, I have copied the relevant items below:
    1. About a week before the third renewal kicked in, she phoned our PM to advise she was vacating our property. Our PM advised that this was a 'break lease' and the ramifications of doing that.
    2. Our tenant told our PM that she was vacating and we couldn't stop her. Also, she advised that she was going to QCAT so that she could break the lease due to hardship. Apparently, she has lost her job and is finding it difficult to get another job (I thought there was a nursing shortage in Brisbane).
    In summary, she said she was vacating, we couldn't stop her, she was going to QCAT, ...

Now that sounds negative, harsh, disturbed, ... Maybe you need give yourself an uppercut (your words).

17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It helps if you read the thread carefully before posting.

RetireRich101 and kierank like this.
  18. Rumplestiltskin

To make it easier I have quoted the comments below.
    Differing statements in the space of hours.

It's important to remember what you've said.

19. Rumplestiltskin

Then I suggest you go back and do it then.

20. kierank

"To follow through with QCAT to get a ruling" meaning "Asking the PM to represent us at QCAT if that is where we end up and we will get a ruling".

"I know, we are relying on the tenant to make the application" meaning that "If the tenant withdraws her application, then there will be no QCAT and hence no ruling.

Don't read into this more than what I wrote.

Cadbury99 and RetireRich101 like this.