Trees - removal

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by JK200SX, 1st Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Hello all,

So this is probably not posted in the right sub forum, but I don't know where to post it?

I have a couple of fairly large trees at an IP in Thorneside QLD (4158), that need to be cut down, removed. I not particularly worried with the root stump... it can be cut down and left at ground level.

I could ring up a tree lopping firm and pay them, or..... perhaps somehow connect with someone who may want the trees/timber as firewood, or for some other use for free. They would obviously have to come and cut the trees down themselves. How would one go about the latter path?

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

People who get paid to cut trees usually sell them for firewood.

People will take wood if it’s cut down to size and left somewhere.

I don’t know if there would be anyone willing to cut it down for free just to get firewood, except possibly a private person somewhere

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why do they need to be cut down? Trees are an asset and add value to the house, they're worth thousands - what do you pay at a nursery for a larger plant in a 300mm pot?

Noobieboy and Joynz like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The professionals will be insured if there is any damage to life or property - a person cutting it down for firewood won't be, so what happens if they fall out of the tree or cut themselves or drop the tree on the neighbours fence.

Not worth the risk. If they "must" be cut down - and I agree, sometimes they do - then get a professional.

5. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I am currently in the process of getting a very large pine tree cut down as it has died I phoned numerous people who advertised they cut down trees but none would do it, too large was the comment. I have finally found one who has cut large trees at this house before. The cost is $5k!! And that is just cutting it to waist height. I have had to wait 2 months but it should happen soon !!!

6. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

7. Brengun

Brengun Member

Mate, if I were you, I would get professionals to do it. Risk to property isn't worth it, though if you are in Thornside maybe you have the space for something to go wrong.

I used Rick Barnes to do 11 trees (including grinding roots) and he was great, and reasonably priced. And a top guy.

8. Socrates

Socrates Member

Everyone's absolute correct about getting a professional to do the job. Cost will depend on how technical a cut it is - distance from buildings, wires, nature of the drop zone etc.

I'd put my hand up for it except I don't do big trees anymore, specialize in palm trees now. Got tired of the roping that standard trees tend to require.

One option you could try is Airtasker. I take on jobs for people via that site from time to time, and I've seen that there are a number of professional cutters also putting in offers for work. Most probably won't be interested in fire wood, but you can get the cost down by providing council vouchers if you have them or can get them. Disposal is a major part of the expense - last palm tree I removed was just shy of 1 ton, and that was minus the stump.

If you try the site just make sure you've taken some photos to upload. It isn't possible to exchange contact details until you accept someone's offer to do the job. So you'll need photos in order to get a precise quote. And with the photos, unless you're good at estimating height, make sure there's something in them that gives a sense of perspective. Difficult to gauge when all you can see is the tree :).

And as for trees being an asset, adding value, yes that's true. However, sometimes they become dangerous for one reason or another, or they have to be removed for development purposes. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving the trees whenever possible. But if it's me or the tree...

Hope this helped.

All the best,

Kez.

Stoffo likes this.
  9. Caligula

Caligula New Member

This is some pretty basic advice but I always like calling a few local cutters and asking them how they would go about it and getting a quote. Call 4 or 5 people and you get a real good understanding of what the situation is with your job. I'm going to rep my boys in Melbourne, I know your in Queensland but they're pretty friendly if you want to give them a call, otherwise get out the yellow pages and get a few opinions. Jack's Trees | Tree Services and Tree Removal Melbourne

SEmel likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Most building insurance will not cover a tree felling incident. At all. They assume you are using licensed and insured people. Ditto cranes over house for a pool.

NRMA eg You’re covered for damage caused by the impact of trees to your home, but not damage caused by tree roots or removal of trees.

With that in mind - why would you invite someone to touch a tree in your yard. Better to allow the pros at it. They will offer to shred it or leave the stumps but wont leave them on footpath in event someone is injured. You making too much of a simple job. Let them mulch it for your yard. Wet timber isnt always suitable for a fire and must dry. Some is toxic too.

Stump must be ground / removed or you are just asking for white ants later. Consult a pest person after 6 months as a bait trap may avoid issues later too. Roots arent all removed. Just surface stuff.