Treasury flying blind on online shopping tax

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Azazel, 22nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious, if most items are currently in the lower scale, and a worker earns at least the minimum wage, added to the time it takes to process one item, added to the time it takes to store and retrieve the item. Of course it's going to be a costly exercise (for the consumer). The revenue will disregard the cost to consumers, so they will go ahead.

2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Now is not the short term - that was 5 - 10 years ago. Anyone that wasn't already gearing up in prep for online retail and a global market was already doing it wrong.

Absolutely - I think someone here posted the video of Kerry Packer at an inquest, and I completely agree. Anyone voluntarily paying more tax than they are legally obliged to is doing themselves a disservice. Doesn't mean the tax system couldn't do with some reform.

Here's an example:
    Tony Abbott flew to Tasmania and blithely handed a gift of $16 million to the Cadbury chocolate factory. Cadbury, owned by a multinational giant, had reported a 64 per cent burgeoning in its profit to $74.9 million last year.

Cheers,
    inertia

3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

That's the example?

So, just on a whim, TA just handed over the cash to help the boys out?

I'm not sure.....

I think I will need more information to swallow that one.

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Many did, and are - hence our fabulous unemployment rate currently - which doesn't even include those who have stopped trying to find work, our myriad closures of businesses and downsizings, changes from full-time to part-time and casual job classifications.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

As time goes on, there are jobs lost in certain industries, more created in newer industries.
    Can see more opportunities for today's young people in fields such as technology than in manufacturing or retail.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Azazel likes this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You're right, he's actually not the worst option.

8. inertia

Yeah, I don't know about "thrown to the wolves". I'm unlikely to forgive him for what they have done to the NBN, but he is the best candidate for Labor leader ;)

9. inertia

He brought up a point I was going to make earlier... the incredible irony of a free trade agreement and the TPP, and the increase of tariffs...

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Wait, what? Didn't Labor start the NBN debacle?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Another car industry bailout.. After all, how much chocolate do we grow in Tassie?

inertia likes this.
  12. inertia

Eh, it was an ambitious plan, as with everything, could have been done bette, both technologically and financially, but the costing committees came up with the same dollars. But the correct alternative response from the Libs would have been to do nothing. What they have done is waste money on a pointless network, and do it in a spectacularly incompetent way. If an actual (ie ungroomed, using existing copper) FTTN service turns up before the end of the year, I will, I dunno, be super impressed or something.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

As far as I recall, Labor costed it at around $34 billion originally.

14. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

Working for a major shopping centre develop/manager, I get to see inside working of how all the retail tenants are performing.
    - Food retailers will always stay
    - services like hair dressers and massage places will always be there
    Those that are suffering due to online purchases are
    - fashion retailers
    - electronics retailers

What I have been noticing is that there is a huge focus on customer experience as the differentiating strategy that online can't provide e.g in store demonstrations, big events inside the shopping centre etc and creating ambiance e.g open space dining precincts .