Traveling to US - is a valid Aussie cert and test ok?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by jaybean, 16th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I’m reading their travel rules and they say I need a vax cert and negative vax test but it’s not clear whether Aussie ones are ok. I don’t need to get a test at some sort of special US approved place right? And likewise the Aussie vax cert I have in my phone is sufficient? The CDC site that US immigration links to doesn’t go into this level of detail.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Was checking on my own passport application and saw this on the website ... it's about how to get an international vaccine cert (scroll down)

Home

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

One of our sons flew into LA earlier this week. He and his partner both had Covid about two months ago with fairly mild symptoms, so they both took RATs for a few days prior to the required pharmacy supervised test they used to board the flight.

Another friend flew two nights ago into London via Dubai. She didn't need test to fly.

4. jaybean

That's what I mean, what's "required"? Is any pharmacy ok? Or is there some special list of approved pharmacies that the US requires?

And I assume it's a RAT test? Or should I make sure I do this 24 hours ahead of time if it's a proper test?

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2022
  5. jaybean

Thank you! That answers my second question. Great

EDIT: I just found it within the MyGov website. Brilliant.

6. wylie

Check with your local pharmacy. I know my local one does supervised tests. My son used his local pharmacy. The pharmacy will know if they are approved for international travel RATs.

And yes, these are RAT (tests). I believe you can pay for a PCR test if you need it with a deadline for travel. I'd check the government travel sites if you are not sure, and if the pharmacy cannot confirm that a supervised RAT is not enough.

Our son did the pharmacy RAT this week to fly to LA.

jaybean likes this.
  7. jaybean

Brilliant good to know that's an option.

Sweet good to know it's going to be a pretty simple process. Thanks.

8. wylie

I just googled and the government website says no outbound testing is required. I'd be checking this out well before you fly. Had our son read the government blurb and not done further checking, he wouldn't have been able to board. It does go on to say you need to check the rules in the country you are entering.

I guess that is why the friend flying into London didn't need a test and the son flying into LA did.

It's quite confusing really.

9. jaybean

You mean the Aussie or US gov sites?

10. wylie

Australian government site...

Outbound international travel

And yet our son and partner needed proof of a negative RAT within 24 hours (I think) of boarding to the US. I guess one needs to ensure they know the rules and requirements for the country they are flying to.

11. jaybean

OH I see, you need to get proof to board. I thought you needed proof for when you land.

So basically: as long as you can get on the plane, you're basically all good?

12. wylie

I wouldn't trust that assumption. I'd be checking with the government rules for the country you are entering.

jaybean and Scott No Mates like this.