Travel & Holidays Travel

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 15th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I used to think this too until I landed in Rome. There is no better way to appreciate what we have than by seeing what is different elsewhere

I don't aim for any travel, it just happens. This year I will probably end up in the States (robotic surgery training), South Korea (more robots) and New Zealand (conference).

I hate flying immensely, so I try to tack on a holiday on to the necessary travel. Nevertheless I (we) are pretty well travelled. My 2 and 5 year olds have been to maybe 15+ countries. My wife and I are 25+ (I would need to count the magnets)

2. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

In 20 odd years I've travelled the 7 continents extensively, including living abroad.

I've experienced some wonderful places, but there is no doubt in my mind that we are the lucky country & Australia will be my forever home.

ellejay likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Best way for the Pacific Islands is by cruise ship. The cruise ship kids club will keep the kids entertained, and you get a great holiday without having to look after the kids all the time. You'd have to book early though because they have a limit to the number of kids they can take on any 1 cruise so it could be very competitive to get a spot during school holidays.

Sackie and Travelbug like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

He's mainly titanium and doesn't set anything off. He does always look dodgy enough for them to ask for a full body scan though :rolleyes:

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have a friend who is into body piercings. He always has problems flying.

6. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

No overseas trips in the last two years with the kids, but try to get down to Mandurah a couple times a year. The kids love it.

For us parents though, it's more like a "relocation" than a holiday. :confused:

Sackie and inertia like this.
  7. geoffw

I love to travel but didn't have the chance for a number of years- our family travel budget was mostly about getting the rest of the family on trips to visit their mother's family in Mexico. Our youngest went to school in Mexico for 7 months at age 14.

I made up for some of the gap by travelling get for 5 months in 2014/15.

I get a real kick experiencing another culture, more than the sightseeing. So Australia, USA, and Western Europe don't do it for me as much.

radson likes this.
  8. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I travel OS once every year or two. I could go more often but having traveled OS a lot and to varied places during my working years it no longer holds the same mystery and desirability. This year, my wife and I plan on doing a lot more local area travel instead, staying a couple of nights at a scenic location mid-week when the crowds are low and it truly is relaxing.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It can become costly

What I find annoying is how expensive it is to travel in my own State.
    Bali may be cheaper than Queensland depending on where you stay etc, but call me silly I prefer QLD any day of the week. I have been to Bali a few times now, its very cheap from Perth and locals do this regularly due to price. I just don't like what I see, cant deal with third countries anymore. That's just me.

One of my favourite places in the world is Japan, what an amazing place to visit, the people are wonderful and so much to do and see. There are cheap flights available if you look hard, going around December is still OK and perhaps cheaper, the only issue with Japan is accommodation is costly.

MTR:)

10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I have 9 piercings myself and have never triggered a scanner and I'm pretty well travelled. Have you actually seen it or is it hearsay?

pinkboy

Westminster likes this.
  11. geoffw

It's what he told me. Although that was a few years ago and the equipment may be better now.

12. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Mine are all 10+ years. I've never had a problem.

Love the pain!

pinkboy

13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Have you been across to Aitutaki and One Foot Island?

The wonders of the polariser

One Foot Island shennanigans

14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yep - it's stunning!

Not sure if I'd go back there with kids though - there's a bit more to do in Raro for them.

radson likes this.
  15. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

We would love to go to Japan and will get there one day. It would cost us minimum $6000 flights and $6000 accom for 12 days and don't fancy 16 odd hours with 3 kids. Bali for 12 days for around $4800 total so can't really argue with that

MTR likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We went I think Air Asia half the price of this, my 2 daughters and the boyfriend at the time.

I don't know whether I would fly Air Asia again though, and I wont be paying for boyfriends again, lesson learnt, stop being silly.:(

MTR:)

17. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Im curious to know from those who dont travel (and have no desire to) - why?

Blacky

18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@MTR good news from a fellow Japan lover. ANA and JAL announced late last year they are going to add a direct Perth route starting this year. I'm very excited by this as there used to be a direct PER-TKY flight with Qantas many moons ago and I think it took travel time to around 12-14hrs.
    We are flying Garuda this time - via Jakarta there and via Bali on the way back. 14hrs all up each way as they have very short layovers.

Magnet, MTR and Blacky like this.
  19. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

We are enjoying our last holiday for a while at the moment in Thailand. We are here for 2 months and have rented a car for all this time so we can do a bit more exploring ourselves.

I have lived in Europe for the last 14 years so have been to quite a few places, mainly all over Eastern Europe and even to Belarus!!!

Will probably spend the next year or two exploring or revisiting, and showing my son different parts of Australia, especially now the dollar is so low. Might even do a shirt trip for the first time to New Zealand.

ellejay and 158 like this.
  20. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Trying to find the best way to Jpn from Perth was a pain in the keister.
    My folks ended up with Perth-Singapore (3day stop over) - Tokyo - Sapporo. On the way back they dont have a stop over and I think it is about a 24hr journey.

Blacky