Travel & Holidays Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 1st Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We stuffed up and did not use the right credit card now we need to take travel insurance.

Any recommendations?

MTR:)

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

www.tid.com.au
    But these days I use the black credit card and it comes free.

MTR likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've recently arranged insurance through 1Cover. It wasn't quite the cheapest, but it provided sufficient coverage for our trip, and had good ratings.

I first looked through a couple of comparison sites, like comparthemarket.com and iselect, and then checked up on ratings to find ones that rated well for payouts and service.

I'm guessing you will be going to the US, where insurance is vastly more expensive than anywhere else, so what suits us may not suit you.

willair and Propertunity like this.
  4. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Insureandgo or budgetdirect are the two I used in Australia.
    Read the PDS carefully as different company has different policy regarding pay out. E.g. if the luggage is delay for say 24 hours, one of the European companies I used previously gave me a lump sum of 200 dollars.
    Whereas for Insureandgo, they only pay out the actual amount (evidenced by receipts) you spent up to a certain amount, so if you only spent 20 dollars, you only get 20 dollars.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, going to US, but I will be taking it out in Australia, I want to make sure I am covered, medical etc.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I also want cover cancellations? must make sure I read the fine print
    Thanks

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some may not know this but if you have travel insurance on Virgin credit card but you use points to pay for the flight you will not be covered. Read this recently in a review, could be a nasty surprise ??

8. geoffw

Of course. But because medical expenses are so much higher than anywhere else, even spending a single day there can double the insurance cost.

productreview.com has reviews of the products, I found that to be helpful. There's also Travel Insurance Reviews | Star Ratings 2015 but I don't know how good they are.

You are definitely doing the right thing by getting insurance independently from the flights. When my wife was in the travel agency, people would spend a lot of time on flights, and then just take the first insurance policy they were offered- which earned the agency more in commissions than the flight.

She would always buy her own insurance independently, despite the big discount she could get at the time buying it from her own agency. Many airline or agency policies are structured in a similar way.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks I get it now, you are right.

10. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

So, how do you find out exactly what the card travel insurance covers so you are not left exposed?

11. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I use covermore and go to fairly adventurous places. Have not made a claim yet so not really able to comment on what their track-record is.

If you travel overseas regularly, consider an annual/multi-trip policy.

Annual Multi Trip

Look into t's & c's to double-check if there are any weasel words about work-related travel, presumably the case for you @MTR .

MTR likes this.
  12. geoffw

Also be sure that you are covered for the events which may occur.

My daughter is on a tropical island in Cambodia- her tiny teddies were stolen out of her backpack by monkeys. Apparently that's not covered.

Or should that be on a thread about third world problems?

13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We used covermore and when we had to claim it was simple and quick.

14. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I phoned the cc company and they put me through to their insurer who emailed me the PDS. I read the PDS and printed off a copy to take with me.

Otie likes this.
  15. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I've been using ACE, but that's because they're my AMEX insurance provider. There's a lot of bad press on them with their reluctance to pay out claims (though it could just be due to people not checking T&Cs or following the right claims procedure). I might look into a separate insurance policy for my next trip..

I've heard good things about Insure and Go, covermore and TID from ski buddies.. just check the exclusions. I know that I&G exclude cover for people with certain medical conditions treated in the past 5 years.

Choice have done a review/comparo too..
    Travel insurance reviews and comparisons - CHOICE

16. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Commbank credit cards offer no strings travel insurance. It's solid cover and only requires you to notify the bank of your trip to be covered. You don't have to pay for the flights on the card or anything silly like that.

We used world nomads in the past. Great cover and quick claims. Our experience was good.

17. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I got screwed over by credit card travel insurance a few years ago. Now I buy online travel insurance regardless if it's already covered by the cc. Figured the holiday is already costing thousands of dollars, so a bit more for travel insurance was worth it.

Westminster and MTR like this.
  18. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

About to renew. Til recently I travelled a lot so did an annual policy with QBE. Saves worrying about each trip

19. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

TID often have 10% discount codes, have a search for the codes to save some extra money. Think when I used them it was TID4ALL or something

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

TID used to be the cheapest. Not anymore.