TAS Transferring to a new agent while overseas

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TazCaz, 17th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TazCaz

TazCaz Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm coming to the end of the first year of property ownership and being a landlord and have been fairly unimpressed with my well-known agency for the whole time I've been with them. Ideally I would like to negotiate with a new agency but I am currently overseas, which would make this process a bit harder I feel. Has anyone had experience changing agency while interstate or overseas? Am I better waiting until I am back home to meet with agents in person (something I would generally prefer)? Can you change agency at any stage of the agreement (say if I was to be back in June, halfway through a new 12-month lease)? Is it a complicated process? Are there fees involved?

And finally, any recommendations for a good agency in Hobart? A place where they actually do their job? Currently paying 8% so that or lower please.

Cheers,
    Caroline

2. TazCaz

TazCaz Well-Known Member

Just giving this a bump to see if anyone can help. Thanks in advance!

3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

If a Landlord contacted me whilst they were overseas asking me to take over management, I would send them all the paperwork to sign and return, find out about any notice periods required to give to the current agent, and make all the arrangements for them etc. If you decide that you have to meet your new PM before taking them on etc, then you have no choice but to wait till you get back. Most PM's would be happy to do all this for a new client.

TazCaz likes this.
  4. TazCaz

TazCaz Well-Known Member

Lovely, thanks Michael. I know some people engage PMs without ever meeting them or indeed even seeing their property. I guess I've just been so disappointed with this agency that I feel I'd want to meet them face-to-face. You don't happen to have anyone you can recommend in Hobart do you?