Transfer property to spouse to minimise land tax?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by scientist, 9th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I have two NSW properties under my name and wife has 0. My holdings would make me liable to land tax, circa 10k pa. Ideally I would like to transfer one property to her name to avoid land tax. Any suggestions on what I can do?

1) if i transfer to spouse, I will pay stamp duty, which I'm open to, it might make sense financially. If I transfer it at a low sale price, it would affect CGT when we sell it due to low cost base. Any ideas to mitigate this?

2) any trust-based solutions? eg declare I hold the property on trust for spouse

3) any other ideas?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What happens when properties are sold as part of a property separation/divorce settlement ?
    Is cgt also divided between the two people benefiting (receiving payment) or just the on paper registered owner) ?

scientist likes this.
  4. Terry_w

If it is just sold it is as per normal.
    Rollover relief can apply if transferred between the spouses

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If you reside in NSW property as your PPOR on the date of transfer and you transfer JUST 50% to your spouse this isnt subject to duty. Some (legal+tax) advice concerning this as a strategy should be obtained as the main residence exemption may or may not also apply to the property. Later the other 50% could also be sold and refresh the costbase but that portion would be dutiable.

Tip - If you engage with Terry as your broker to refinance such a event he may advise you and assist.

scientist likes this.
  6. scientist

semi seriously considering a fake divorce lol

Stoffo likes this.
  7. scientist

Thanks for suggesting. The property's been rented out since 2020 so it's been almost 2 years as an IP. Should I still look into this pathway?

Are there any other avenues to pursue, eg declare a trust

8. Terry_w

I can think of 2 strategies

Tax Tip 50: Minimising duty on Spousal Transfers Tax Tip 50: Minimising duty on Spousal Transfers

and

Aparent purchaser provision of the NSW Duties act - if the non-owner of you paid the deposit and repayments it could be transferred without duty, or if both of you did then it could be transferred into 2 names without duty - potentially.

A declaration of trust would result in duty
    Tax Tip 217: Declarations of Trust and Stamp Duty Tax Tip 217: Declarations of Trust and Stamp Duty

Seek legal advice

scientist likes this.