Transfer duty concession with existing tenant - QLD

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Christina46, 23rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

My husband and I have just secured a property that we intend to move into as our PPoR. The property is currently tenanted (lease in place until mid December). We are going to be away for Christmas, so won't be moving into the property until January.

I am wondering whether we can let the current lease be extended so the tenants don't have to move out just before Christmas and still keep our transfer duty concession.

My reading of the Qld Office of State Revenue website is that if the lease is extended before the transfer of the asset (which it says is usually the settlement date) then this should be ok.

I'm speaking with Solicitor to go through this (and some other mattes) tomorrow, but thought I might be able to get a quick answer here?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You cannot extend the lease.

If you don't settle with vacant possession, you will pay some capital gains tax (pro-rata for time) so for a month before you move in, and assuming you stay a long time, it won't be much problem.

That's my understanding and the same situation our son found himself in when he settled ten days before the lease ended.

I'd get the tenants out, move in if you can, and have someone house sit if you are worried about it being empty.

The hassles of having a little bit of extra rent (in my opinion) is outweighed by the risk to your concession and the fact you get into capital gains tax territory.

3. Christina46

Thanks @wylie. Settlement date is 3 months prior to the lease ending - having a short settlement and letting the tenants stay for their lease term were key drivers for the sellers.

Understand the CGT implications. We are planning on being there looooong term, so hopefully the CGT issues will be minimal.

4. wylie

Ok... so there will be some CGT component anyway. But I know my son was told by OSR he most definitely could not extend the lease and had to move in as soon as the sitting tenants' lease finished.

Christina46 likes this.
  5. Christina46

6. wylie

I'm also glad you are seeing a solicitor to check what I've said. I'm not offering legal advice, but this is how it was a few years ago for my son.

7. Christina46

Bit of an update.

My solicitor has advised that if the current owners extend the tenants lease PRIOR to settlement, the home buyer stamp duty concession is not impacted. As long as we as the buyers don't extend/enter into a new lease AND the tenants are gone within 6 months of settlement all is ok.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  8. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Spot on.

Christina46 likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

This is a good example of why it pays to get good legal advice.
    Grea outcome for you.
    Marg

Christina46 and Paul@PAS like this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.