Transaction limit in SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by grk349, 18th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. grk349

grk349 Well-Known Member

Hi, does anybody know if there is a transaction limit on shares in a SMSF?

I calculate that my fund will have around 500 buys and sells in total over this tax year (with an equal amount of currency conversions for these overseas shares).

The idea is to build something akin to a mutual fund with many small positions but the volatility keeps on throwing me out as the share prices reverse.

Still up 10% for the year so not bad.

Thanks

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Depends on your SMSF administrator/accountant. I've seen transaction limits or transaction count based fees from both cheap admins and the pricey ones.

Why SMSF?

3. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

JohnPropChat and grk349 like this.
  4. grk349

grk349 Well-Known Member

Thanks for those links Ivan.

I'm concerned that my 500 share transactions this FY may have my auditor lodging an ACR with the ATO.

I'm 20 years away from retirement so all of these transactions can only be for a retirement benefit and so I would think would pass the 'sole purpose' test.

So it's not clear what the AFR means by this
    "An example might be trustees of an SMSF who regularly trade listed securities to such an extent that they are carrying on a share-trading business"

Many Thanks

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Redwood is on the issue. Another issue is what is traded. Currency, commodities etc may need a risk management statement too. Be Probably as must an investment as roulette..red v black

Speculation v investment is a audit problem.

And trades initiated by one member and not akin to a strategy and unanimous choice may be a problem. IWhen I audited I would ask the passive trustee some questions. If one member was a speculator and the other had no idea it would pose a investment strategy concern. It's punting not investing. And not unanimous

Many auditors may qualify and let the ATO consider it. Trading isn't investment.

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2020
    grk349 likes this.