Traffic data - e.g. vehicles per day?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by alexpreston, 20th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexpreston

alexpreston Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know the best way to find out the traffic profile of a property (aside from guessing!)?

Is data available for example listing the number of vehicles that pass a property on a daily basis?

Part of my search for real estate involves categorising my finds into "main road" / "not main road", but I'm interested in refining that categorisation effort to be a lot less crude.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Find council DA website. Locate a commercial dev approval in same street that is recent. eg Dentist, shopping centre, childcare etc Traffic survey data will be part of approval and be a public document. BUT...Its likely up to 8 years out of date sometimes. Some RMS's have limited data eg NSW has "traffic volume viewer" on web. Main roads !!

3. alexpreston

Wow, so the only (slim) hope is if there is some kind of commercial building in the street?

Hmm, might have to somehow crowd source this myself.

4. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

If you go to Google Maps you can look at the traffic density during the day - it will colour code the road for you.

Actuaries get traffic data from Google Maps and Apple (i.e. looking at how many mobile phones traverse the road) so perhaps you could investigate that angle?

aussieB likes this.
  5. alexpreston

Thanks, that might be a worthy Plan B.