Trading using my corporate trustee

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by scientist, 27th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Advice should be re-checked prior to any change too. Its common to find someone using a trust to trade or invest and then then combine things. Often a real bad idea. When I say any change i mean anything at all. Changes to the trading or new activities etc.

And I have seen people combine trading and property ownership. Thats almost certainly a concern.

Even if a trust makes sense it may be prudent to consider two trusts with the same corporate trustee.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

That comes with a host of issues itself. Was the trustee acting for xyz trust or abc trust. I would avoid that as well.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

In many cases yes. In some its very evident which trust has paid for and held an investment. In a group situation yes a obvious issue. eg When a trading trust leases property from a property trust its a evident fail for the same trustee of course or where they may be loans

One of the worst I have ever seen and it really did my head in is a group of three companies and they all changed names and 2 companies changed name to names formerly used by two of those 3 companies. We advised against it and they insisted. Every company was known by its current and former name. And some owned shares in their subs which also changed names.

4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

This is what they came up with, the link I posted before: Select your registrations - Business Registration Service

No idea what they use as a Constitution, is Table A still a thing?

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Replaceable rules if no Constitution

6. Paul@PAS

Most people wouldnt know what the replaceable rules are. And there may be many really sound reasons NOT to use them. eg How will votes be counted ? What about different class rights for shareholders ? Even opening a bank account without a constitution is more difficult.

Another simple example is a contract. Signed contrary to s127. Good advice would have explained how to avert this issue.

And I have seen peeps setup a smsf trustee company using that aweful Govt link. That can really add to costs. A special purpose smsf trustee company MUST have a specially drafted constitution.