Trading blog mystery

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Jess Peletier, 30th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks @Jess Peletier for letting me know about your blog. I have been reading it and really enjoying it! Nice stuff! :)

Phantom and Jess Peletier like this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Just watch out for any links to dodgy sites :(

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'll let you know if it starts to redirect me to those kinda sites... :D

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Hi Jess, interesting read. Are you still actively trading now?

5. Jess Peletier

Not at the moment, I've been very focussed on the biz the last couple of years but definitely starting again this year. I miss my charts! Longer term trading now though, I don't have time for shorter term systems.

6. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

I signed up for a twitter account recently, and got followers from my trading days. ....despite the fact that I haven't actively traded in years.

It may be that the increased traffic to your site is because the stock market is currently more volatile and there are more google searches by traders/investors trying to figure out their next move.

7. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

8. Jess Peletier

I just sent them a kind email titled "Stealing my Blog" but it didn't go through. I don't think any of the links work - for the moment at least.

9. Ozzie in Texas

I read your posts on self-destructive trading thoughts and 13 things they didn't tell you. Very funny and very true.

Like you, I miss my charts.......but not the life style. Long term trading is kinder to my tolerance for stress.

10. Jess Peletier

Glad you enjoyed it :) I loved writing it.

I agree, the trading lifestyle is not for me - I completely burnt out and missed people. But I'm very much looking forward to starting longer term trading again.

Ozzie in Texas likes this.
  11. Ozzie in Texas

Like you, I got burnt out as well. At the end, I had already been trading for years and it still didn't prepare me for the madness of the stock market crash in 2007/8. I came to point when I didn't like the stock market anymore.

I remember trading on a day when the market absolutely fell apart and I was trying to sell (shorts) and buy (long)......and was looking at trading volumes and just felt sad.

I knew it wasn't my fault .......but watching the market fall apart.....while I was trying to take advantage just felt wrong. I remember just crying. Absolutely balling my eyes out. I remember my husband coming home from work, asking what's wrong.....and him laughing at me because I had been upset about other people losing their life savings.

Soon after, I decided that I needed to go back to work and be around people again.

Day trading is a lonely and stressful experience.

Well done that you made it work. Not many can do it. And those who haven't done it, can't understand it.

charttv, Perthguy and Jess Peletier like this.
  12. Jess Peletier

I relate to so much of that. I was only just starting in the GFC, and needless to say I got my a** handed to me :) I learned quickly from that point, but I had too much of my own self worth tied up in 'being a trader' that when I couldn't make it work I felt completely useless.

Bizarre thing was that I was trading such a tiny amount of money compared to what I had in property, but so completely tied my sense of who I was to trading that while I was so immersed and focussed on trading I largely paid my property investments no attention, meanwhile the 1% focus I had on property made me so much money! Made me realise how stupid I was - I had to wake up. There's a whole new blog post in that story :)

It's important to note that I didn't make daytrading work, only in spurts. Trading generally I made work, but the very short time frames (5 minute charts) I just didn't master. It works best for me when I've got other things to do - like you, I need people.

charttv and Perthguy like this.
  13. Ozzie in Texas

Gosh......5 minute charts. How funny. 5 minutes was our long term vision.

During the GFC, I remember flicking between minute and 5 minutes and the dailies.......pre fibre optics and wifi internet service and would scream in frustration because the line would drop out when I was in the middle of a trade.

The advantage of being an active trader was if you made a bad call for whatever reason......oh well, it's a tax write. I really didn't lose either way.

Back then, my definition of a long term trade was anything held for more than a day.

But don't you love being able to still pull up a chart every now and then.......and recognize how wonderful it is that you can interpret how a company is performing.....or the overall market is doing........when the majority of other people just see to be a bunch of squiggly lines. Through that chart, I don't have to read to news or understand what is/was happening with the company. I need nothing other than trying to interpret the chart.

It was an awesome experience. I learnt a ton. I just don't want to rely upon it as my day gig anymore. I still buy and hold and sell.....without the stress and the drama of being a day trader.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2016
  14. Jess Peletier

Yep - give me chart and I'll tell you in an instant what I'd do with it. Like you, I learnt a ton - a very valuable experience.

15. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

+1 on this

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That is odd.
    I guess if it lapsed, someone else could buy the domain.
    Pretty easy to restore a backup of the site.
    Maybe you have a stalky super fan?

17. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

interesting. I suspect someone's strategy would be to resurrect assets like this for cheap and then monetise the traffic it generates through AdSense. Another possible use would be as an asset to insert bought links.

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I had this happen to me a few years back with an old blog I used to write about IBM.

I wrote them a firm "cease and desist" email and fortunately, he removed the content that I had written and he had scraped from archive.org

Yes, it is a breach of copyright and if you don't get any joy contacting them directly about it, you could look at having the content removed from Google due to copyright infringements.

19. Jess Peletier

Thank Sim,

I don't know how to contact them - is there a way to get their contact details? The contact form on the blog doesn't work. I just got in touch with google for them to remove it due to copyright. We'll see how it goes.

20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Lookup the domain name on whois (try: http://whois.domaintools.com/) and see if there are contact details there for the domain.