Trades not completing work they quoted

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Huss518, 14th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Huss518

Huss518 Member

Question for PMs

How often do you check repairs are completed correctly by trades?

I had my property manager organised some work that needed to be done. They provided me a quote, it noted some structural items that needed to be replaced. I accepted the quote. (they defiantly need to be replaced as there were too far gone to simply repaired) and it was booked in.

I followed it up about week later, "yep all fixed Friday", great. They emailed a picture and I noticed nothing seemed to replaced. I drove past on the weekend to have a look (you can see this from the street) and nothing had been replaced. Emailed the property manger and received a hand balled messaged from the tradesman, '"we didn't replace them as it didn't need it" all they have done is quick fix( at no point did they update the quote or communicated this earlier)"but will knock some money off for materials not used" still excepting the full labor cost for what was a quick repair rather then a full replacement.

At this point I have instructed my pm they need to complete the job that has been quoted.

2. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

If you paid for a "full fix" you receive a full fix, if a full fix isn't needed they shouldn't charge the full rate and a new invoice should have been written up and approved (correct me here).

I'd be switching PM tbh, lack of communication on something like that really sucks.

3. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Instruct your PM Not to Pay.
    They need to do what they quoted for.
    Here Endeth the lesson.

TMNT and wylie like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

My answer: Every Time, without fail- I need to know whether the problem is fixed.
    And i'd ask both the Tradie and the Tenants before I release payment.
    And more often than not, we would inspect the work done.
    Hubby is a Tradie himself, and I might have OCD :p
    Cant do it any other way......

5. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

We obtain proof of works such as photos and confirmation from the tenant. Depending on what it is sometimes we go out and view personally where I work, but that isn't always possible (I'm not jumping up onto or into a roof for example... while under houses has too many spiders for me!)

Dean Collins likes this.
  6. Huss518

Huss518 Member

Are tenants given a breakdown of the work been done?
    It is bit like taking the wife's car to the dealership to fix a noise. she probably doesn't care if was replaced or repaired as long as the noise is gone!

I am still waiting for my landlord to fix some water damage from the heavy rain we had. I have no idea what they going to fix ( but that is another story...)

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Poor management by PM.

Dan Wood likes this.
  8. AaronCG

AaronCG Member

Sounds like the management could have been better........ I think that is me being kind after my first morning coffee.

If you were quoted something specific, it is reasonable to expect that it be completed in that way. If upon attending at the job something had changed that would require an alternative approach, the trade provider should have contacted the PM to discuss, who then could have made contact with you. Sometimes things do change, but the point is to COMMUNICATE IT.

Negative surprises absolutely kill trust.....

On the other points, all repairs should be validated - for us, we receive photos from trade providers with their invoice at completion, check in with the tenants just after and then double check upon our next regularly routine inspection (quarterly). If it is something urgent/specific, or can be observed from the road, we would check specifically...... It's not rocket science, but it does require attention and communication.

Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.