Too lazy to be Rich

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 25th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. babyboomer1

babyboomer1 Well-Known Member

Does that include members of parliament or just would be Prime Ministers

2. PaulB

PaulB Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more!
    Have a couple of friends. Similar age to me and came from a similar 'starting position' as I did leaving school.
    They went down the '12 month overseas holiday, new hsv utes every 3 years, two Bali holidays per year, spend heaps renting in a trendy area, latest clothes/gadgets etc path. Spending pretty much all of their earnings living it up. Good on them! Boring me got married, bought a house and started a business. Everyone was happily going along.
    Financially we are miles apart after 15 years.
    Now I listen to them complain endlessly about how it's unfair they can't afford a place in inner northern Melbourne and how the government should help people like them out and penalize property investors for ruining the market etc.
    I replied that the government should subsidize people who haven't had an overseas holiday as I 'missed out'☹
    Their response was "but that was your choice"!

marty998, craigc, Empire and 3 others like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

These ppl will never get it. They operate from a completely different philosophical realm to the 1%ers. That's just a fact.

Well done on your achievements mate.

Last edited: 26th Aug, 2018
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I know a number of people who are in the “too rich to be lazy” club ;).

I am working hard to join them. My current membership is in the other (sister) club “too poor to be lazy” :eek:.

iloveqld, hobartchic and Sackie like this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

There’s always going to be hard workers and slackers.
    The one practice that can help all is delayed gratification.

hobo, PaulB and Player like this.
  6. Player

Player Well-Known Member

True.

Grant Cardone says pay the price today, so you can pay any price tomorrow.

Do today what others don't to have tomorrow what others won't

TAJ and kierank like this.
  7. PaulB

PaulB Well-Known Member

Thanks Leo,
    When the discussion turns to property/investing. I always say to people that regardless of what laws and hurdles the government put in place to 'even the playing field', people who are motivated, focused and prepared to sacrifice some of life's luxuries now will always be ahead of the pack in the future.
    Unfortunately the media and the world in general encourages and glorifies a 'live for the moment/you deserve it now' mentality.
    There's no shame in choosing to prioritize current lifestyle over future lifestyle. Just be happy with your choice. Don't begrudge and blame those who chose to do the opposite for making it difficult when you change your mind and want to do the same.

Sackie likes this.
  8. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

If you're waking up every morning to go to work, and it's not something you truly enjoy, you ARE motivated by money, and what it can give you.

Contrary to popular belief, you can actually join societies where you don't need money to live day-to-day. Most are just paying lip-services to that line of thought.

Going to work everyday not taking actions that will allow you eventually climb up the levels of prosperity, is equivalent to having a gym membership, yet eating a dozen donuts and drinking a thick-shake whilst talking about working towards being fit and healthy.

Living pay-check to pay-check is like running a 100 meters and running out of breath. "I just love my body the way it is".

Can one honestly say, my health just isn't that important to me?
    Or are they simply lacking discipline and grit.

I'm not talking crazyrichasian-rich, or six-pack fit, I'm just talking about a systematic, maintainable level of health in all areas.

9. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I never said I wasn't motivated by money. Would I do what I do now for free? Probably not but I enjoy it so win / win. If I stop enjoying it then I will reassess.

What I did say was "You equate being rich to having a lot of money." But I guess to comes down to what meaning you assign to 'rich' and just how much 'a lot of money' is. To me living a rich life isn't always about having piles of cash in the bank and being paper asset rich or even climbing the prosperity ladder. For me, these days, it's about a lot more than that.

When my husband and I lived in Melbourne we were on a good wicket and we were highly motivated by money. We had decent paying jobs, we bought run down properties as often as we could then outside of our full time work (and 3 hour daily commute) we'd renovate these properties of an evening and weekend. People looking in thought we were living the enviable life. That we were rich and well off. But it never felt like it was enough, we were never content. We were exhausted, unfit, unhealthy and cash poor by choice pumping every single cent into of properties. Generally, we were just not enjoying life - and doing it for what, if it was making us hate life, and sometimes, each other.

Then, we made a lifestyle decision motivated by health and happiness. We moved to Cairns, took massive pay cuts, had career changes, made some great and not so great financial decisions, and here we are. Financially worse off but emotionally, relationaship and health-wise leaps and bounds ahead and I wouldn't change it for a million dollars. Instead of making money the priority we've been transitioning to making ourselves and our time the priority.

We've come to the realisation the the idea and dream of owning a $10m+ unleveraged portfolio, to us, isn't worth the sacrifices required to get there. It's not some lie we're telling ourselves to make us feel better, it's about what we're making a priority and that's to live more in the moment instead of future promises. I still struggle spending money now as it's such a deeply ingrained trait but we're not overly consumeristic people either, so that helps.

I sure don't think we lack discipline or grit or are even lazy, we are just who we are and everyone is different. But what matters now is that we're content. And when we're not then we'll change things up until we are again.

TL;DR - Not everyone wants to climb to the top rung of the prosperity ladder in life and are happy with more of a balance being on the lower rungs.

hobartchic, hobo, paulF and 1 other person like this.
  10. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

most important thing is motivation.. most people lack motivation to be rich because they dont know what "rich" is. is like you dont know your missing out on cheese or raw fish until you tried it.

you have $10k, $1m is rich
    you have $1m, 100m is rich,

i have zero motivation to work for money, because i dont get to do what i love but. i need money to do other things in life that i like, if that make sense ?

11. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

The thing with motivation, it's never there when you need it most.

Discipline. Make a plan, see it through. Regardless of how you feel.

12. Sydney_gal16

Sydney_gal16 Active Member

Two Bali holidays lol