NSW Toilet - should I replace or fix

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 9th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I have a one button toilet where the button has broken down. It sounds like a fixable item that shouldn't be too costly. But I read that toilets must be dual flush by 2025 in investment property. So I'm wondering whether I should bite the bullet and just replace the cistern - I've been quoted $450-$500 including parts and labour:(. If I just go with just fixing it, I will still have to pay the $165 call out fee and I say would be at least $200 for the bill.

How is that aldi can fully install an entire toilet for $299 but costs more to replace just the cistern? Does the cost to replace seem high?

2. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

If you want to claim water usage then the toilet needs to be dual flush by 2025. It depends on how old is the current cistern and work required in replacing it.

$165 call out fee seems high as we generally pay $80-$100 callout inc some labour component.

Maybe go with this WaterFix option so you can get a whole new compliant toilet from $440: WaterFix® Residential

giraffez likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A very basic pan & cistern is going to cost you $200+ from Bunnies but it is sufficient to meet requirements. Then you pay for a plumber (maybe your Property Manager could arrange it)?

giraffez likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd replace it now. Don't waste money on something that needs replacing before too long anyway.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The Aldi price is based on a volume arrangement and it does have some extras. Like $30 to dispose of old, disposal of concrete etc., new hoses etc. The limit to it is also the fixed time for the install. If your tenant isnt co-operative and reliable it could be a problem and add to cost. Is the Aldi one partly plastic or all ceramic ? If you walk into Bunnings you can buy a whole suite for the same price as a cistern alone but are they a perfect match ?? I would just replace the lot. Usually a cistern comes with a seat and if its not the right type it may not match well with the bowl with concealed rear pipe etc. So pair them initially and its not a problem.

wylie and giraffez like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Get it wrong the first time, call out another plumber - all maintenance then not capital.

7. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Also remember that if you have an old high volume pan (11 liters per flush?) a low volume cistern (3/6 litre) will not flush the pan properly. I recently replaced an old toilet with a vc pan and close coupled vc cistern - $128.00 at Bunnings + fitting ($20 for silicone stop **** and flex pipe).

Ooooh ! **** should be c0ck

giraffez, Shogun and Paul@PAS like this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A loo is generally maintenance for a existing property. Its defect is the button and compliance with new laws and dual flush etc. Its part of the building and since you are only replacing a part and not the whole building its deductible. Same principal with many building elements like roofing, damaged doors, windows etc

https://www.bmtqs.com.au/documents/publications/mav30.pdf

9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2020
    jaydee likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

So the same would apply if I were to replace 1 of the 3 chillers on a high rise @$1m each but not replace the pipework, boilers or air handling units - then the cost could be passed on to the tenants as its maintenance/parts?

11. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

Just replace the toilet. If the plumber comes and have a look and the goes search for the part come back fit it, not only might not fit well, it will cost him more time than just replacing the whole lot. For a budget option the Posh Solus is probably a good option than the bunnings one as it comes with a 10 year warranty, your plumber can get it on their trade account next time they are at Reece.

giraffez likes this.
  12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Just call Aldi and see where they have it in stock. That's what I'd do.

13. giraffez

This sounds like a good option. Thanks for pointing it out.

For those who knows a bit about toilets, are they all the same fitting? Could the contractor come and say the existing plumbing holes are not aligned or we don't have the right size toilet for your fitting and start increasing the costs?

14. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

The main difference is S Trap and P Trap. There are some universal toilets. Either you could find someone to come and have a look for a free quote but that certainly costs more. Or you could do a bit of leg work and figure out first but wear the costs in you're wrong. Theres no free lunch....

The Stylus toilet is about $130 from Bunnings so essentially paying $300 for the install for the waterfix option, but price certainty is good.

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2020
    giraffez likes this.
  15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Cheap brand toilets (Aldi etc) can be difficult to get parts for.
    Replace the lot. I did the cistern seat change, in hindsight a new toilet would have made the toilet look a little nicer.

A few pictures and measurement from wall to center of pipe (set back) and a shop can help you pick correct toilet.

I also painted back wall of toilet when out and minor repairs (water damage to wall) along top of cistern.

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2020
    giraffez and wylie like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Aldi toilets are all floor waste types so if your toilet waste pipe goes through the wall you can’t use them.

If you buy a toilet from Bunnings, you can get installation through them too - they have a deal with the Grey army or similar.

giraffez likes this.
  17. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

That seems expensive for a new Cistern, my Plumbers replace them all the time for under $350?

giraffez likes this.
  18. giraffez

Oh, can you please explain this a little more. The plumber was saying something about this to me and I didn't understand what it meant. He said something about the half flush won't work properly if I only replace the cistern and not the pan and they will end up having to use the full flush. What size compared to the cistern should the pan be to flush properly?

I can't go the waterfix option due to the lack of availability so I'm back to getting a plumber because I certainly do not have the skills to do this myself.

It was also pointed out to me the budget ones on Waterfix were all plastic cistern. The broken one I have right now (although old) is porcelain. I don't know too much about toilet choices, but for an investment property, is it better to get a better quality one because you know the toilet won't go through much TLC under tenants care. I've never had issues with my toilet at home living there for 20+ years. I think I've had issues at this property with the toilet more than twice in the last 5 years!

19. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

For a rental I wouldn't go with a super fancy smart toilet but I wouldn't go with the cheapest either as they break quicker and you have to call out a plumber again. Did your plumber suggest a model? They might have a good idea of a reasonable good toilet for a rental. Last thing they want is people calling them to complain about a toilet breaking quickly.

20. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member