Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

To Sell or Keep 1st Investment

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by molly1a, 24th Jul, 2016.

Tags:
  1. molly1a

    molly1a New Member

    Joined:
    21st Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    4
    Location:
    Central Coast
    Hi All
    Would appreciate your thoughts on daughters 1st Investment property its in Barnsley (20 min from Newcastle 10 min from the freeway. Bought in late 2013 hardiplank tile 3 bedroom (2 of these bedrooms are small) the only bathroom is renovated but the previous owners made bathroom and toilet into one room. Purchased for $325,000 have tried twice to pull out equity couldn't get past $357,000.
    2 weeks ago tenants moved out we have just finished a $3000 Reno looks updated had a new valuation done and it's come back at $390,000.
    Should this be the time I sell and put the money to a better property.
    Keeping this property is not holding me back I'm just not sure whether to keep as it has no potential to do more. The land was originally part of a bigger block of land so the shape is like a triangle, the small bedrooms and one toilet can be seen as a downfall. If I sold would receive around early $400,000 as a sale price
    SELL OR KEEP
    THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS
    Lorraine
     
    Fiona likes this.
  2. Bran

    Bran Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    20th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    3,223
    Location:
    At work
    Have you considered the selling costs + capital gains tax + re-entry costs to essentially swap it for a better property?

    Why not draw the equity and buy another one as well?

    How's it rent?
     
    D.T., York, eskander and 1 other person like this.
  3. HUGH72

    HUGH72 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    2,124
    Location:
    FNQ
    It's increased 20% in value in less than 3 years, I'm not sure why you don't think it's a decent property? What's the weekly rent?

    I don't see the point in selling after 3 years personally.
    Why pay agent fees, legals and stamp duty again without increasing your asset base if you don't have to?
     
    wylie likes this.
  4. molly1a

    molly1a New Member

    Joined:
    21st Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    4
    Location:
    Central Coast
    If it gets rented it will be approximately $420 per week
    I was just thinking that sometimes a property has gone up and that you should realise the gain pull out the cash and get into a better property bigger rooms less upkeep etc
    Worried that if it's a hot market now might miss the good prices, where in the near future I may not get as much
     
  5. eskander

    eskander Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    31st Dec, 2015
    Posts:
    76
    Location:
    NSW » Central Coast
    Realise the gain by pulling out equity and purchasing another. You're also probably CF+ so don't see a reason to sell at all.
     
    Bran likes this.
  6. HUGH72

    HUGH72 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    2,124
    Location:
    FNQ
    I guess it depends on your strategy and personal circumstances. Unless its costing too much money or the funds are used to pay down other debt, the property is a dud or it is stopping further investing I essentially prefer to hold really long term.

    Then time really makes a difference, rents keep rising as does overall CG.
     
  7. molly1a

    molly1a New Member

    Joined:
    21st Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    4
    Location:
    Central Coast
    The area is not bad at all i suppose now the house is looking updated fresh etc fixed up the mess from the tenants all was good to go.
    I had a new PM come through she thought the house was great also noted that bedrooms were small said that it was good that there was an extra living area
    Started thinking should I put the money to a better property
     
  8. drg86

    drg86 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    25th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    278
    Location:
    Newcastle
    Hold onto it. New shopping precinct in the pipeline not far from there. $420 is great rent and sounds like it's positive for you.
     
  9. ashish1137

    ashish1137 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    12th Sep, 2015
    Posts:
    309
    Location:
    Sydney
    You already extracted 60k in 3 years.
    I think investors want to find such deals.

    But at the peak, you are probably thinking right. Though, you need to factor in the selling costs. Figure out how much will you be left with. Would that amount be sufficient for you to enter somewhere?


    Regards
     
  10. Gockie

    Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    4,937
    Location:
    Sydney
    Hold and pull out equity. Buy a second property with the equity. Rinse and repeat. Only if you thought if the property had little or no more growth potential would I sell.

    Can you see it possibly being worth 500k or more sometime in the next say 3-5 years? If yes, definitely hold.
     
    eskander likes this.
  11. Andrew H

    Andrew H Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    4th Jul, 2015
    Posts:
    204
    Location:
    Cairns, QLD
    pull out the equity, keep the asset and buy another = two properties working for you. Unless you see no potentional further capital growth in the timeframe you require. I have sold a property i believed had peaked only to ensure i bought well with the next in a growth market. Depends on what you want to do.
     
  12. r3ckless

    r3ckless Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    62
    Location:
    Sydney 2219
    I love how majority of the posts here are all the same - hold, extract equity, and use to buy the next one. Thats all well and good, and in a perfect world is the better option, however OP has probably realised their borrowing capacity is limited by holding onto this existing property/liability.

    I'm actually in a very similar position to the OP. Looking to buy new OO, not exactly looking to move back into this particular property which is a unit, so unsure whether to follow "perfect world" route and to keep existing, buy new one with assistance of equity. Even if equity is present as such in the OP case, that only satisfies the security side, what about the servicing side?

    OP - I think if your income is there, you should definitely look to extract equity, purchase additional property, and aim to keep current place too. However if your income is tight, and does not allow for additional property/liability, to maximise servicing, you may want to look into a "security substiution", this is where your existing loan remains the same, but just swap current place to new purchase as security. With the increased weightings on lending this might help you out. Of course, all dependent on your income figures!
     
  13. HUGH72

    HUGH72 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    2,124
    Location:
    FNQ
    Agreed, but we can only make a suggestion on the information provided. The OP said it wouldn't hold them back. There was no mention of ppor.
     
    Bran likes this.
  14. Greyghost

    Greyghost Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    23rd Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    1,262
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Keep.
    Only bought in 2013.
    As others mentioned after factoring buy and sell costs not much CG.
    Typically some say 5 years is a minimum period for holding.. I don't agree.

    We are at the top of the cycle now, so I don't think selling and getting back into the market elsewhere will benefit her much.

    If she wishes to offload it my advice would be to wait until the mid/peak of the NEXT cycle in Syd/Newcastle...
     
  15. Jason Griffiths

    Jason Griffiths New Member

    Joined:
    14th Jun, 2016
    Posts:
    3
    Location:
    Newcastle, NSW
    Considering the comments that have been written in response to your question it seems the consensus is to hold. If financially you are able to keep this property even if it has levelled off, I would suggest retaining it as the figures are adding up to a great return. With the experienced growth perhaps utilise the equity gained to look for another property, paying special attention to the perceived return so as a second wont hobble performance. Nothing local, look further afield, it’s a big country afterall.
     
  16. JohnPropChat

    JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    10th Sep, 2015
    Posts:
    567
    Location:
    Perth
    My philosophy is to take profit than take hope. A few questions I ask myself when I re-evaluate an IP.
    1. Has the market peaked and do you see potential for much growth in the next 5 years. If you think it'll only grow by 10% in the next 5 years then time to dump it.
    2. Is it costing too much? Not just in terms of money but also further borrowing? If so, dump it.
    3. If you said Yes to both 1) and 2) then I say you are taking hope rather than profit.
    4. None of the above matters if you can't sell and break-even or preferably with a decent profit.
    5. If you can get decent equity but the property stays flat or goes under in future then what you essentially did was pay more money(on the dud) to be able to continue your investment journey. Which also has its place.

    Don't take above as advice but rather as food for thought.