To refinance or not? Would appreciate some advice

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Xie, 13th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It depends what they're telling you. If they're telling you x-coll is fine and lumping everything in one loan is great b/ it keeps things simple, that advice is going to cost you a lot of money. They may think keeping it simple is in your best interest, but it's what they don't know that's the problem.

Use what you read here to question the person you're dealing with, they might have very good reasons for their recommendation. Or they may not actually have a good grasp of what you need. There's no harm in seeking extra clarification.

SueA likes this.
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

"Everything". Suggests an over reaction perhaps.

I suggest asking your broker the questions that concern you.

There may be good sensible reasons why you are where you are with the structure you have.

Doubt obviously clouds certainty....... But doubt and discouragement can sometimes create mountains out of nothing at all

Ta
    Rolf

SueA likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If you really know they are giving bad advice, may be time to move on, why don't you ask them to explain in detail and raise any points you have concerns with ?

Not all brokers are the same, that is for sure.

4. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

Thanks for replies guys, I have been asking questions last few days, as you all have said ,broker knows our details inside out and says she has searched thoroughly for what suits us best, so apart from interest rate, which is being relooked at, again, we will stay with her. Will say that apart from interest rate, Adelaide have never given us any trouble in getting money, equity release, etc.
    My 'everything' is probably reading that self employed should probably buy in trusts, don't be with one lender, land tax, didn't know any of this and none have ever been mentioned over the years
    till I read it here. Not even by accountant. Glad so many young ones have found this info early on these sites.
    Now back to Xie, hope some of this helped you also.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

It is pretty annoying that so many so called professionals can be almost as good as clueless.

SueA likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Glad you added the accountant

While many brokers have street smarts in this area, they arent legally licensed to advise around asset protection etc,land tax etc .

Most brokers dont see that sort of thing as their domain in their transactional relationshiops

ta
    rolf

7. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

I was thinking not of specific advice, more of , hey you have a couple of properties, might be worth your while to speak to a good!! accountant re setup, land tax etc.