Title Search - WA

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Scott No Mates, 3rd Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Having undertaken a title search of a property in WA, it reveals that it is a "Share Title", the owners' details are for the entitites of one half of the nominated lot. How do I find the owner of the other half?

upload_2019-8-2_23-53-58.png
    upload_2019-8-2_23-56-10.png

@thatbum @lixas4 @bmc

That's not an issue that I have encountered in the eastern states as all owners are listed on title and this one is described as a "Share title" and nominates the owner of the share of the land.

There do not appear to be other titles involved but I require dthe details of the other owner (I know who they are but I need the proof.

Attached Files:

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Purple title?

The other owner probably has a neighbouring street address right?

3. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Sorry @Scott No Mates, dont know WA.

My suggestions would be calling their titles office (landgate?), a professional title searching company (we use Global x/urbispro - i believe they are national), or speak to a local conveyancer/surveyor.

There is a WA surveyor on here who posts every now and then, but cant remember his username. @Westminster might know?

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

The property is in the Perth CBD, runs between St G Tce & Hay St, has multiple tenants with registered leases.

They're unrelated parties with equal % ownership, so the use purple title (tenants in common/indivisible share of the land) is a possibility.

That still leaves the question of why both of the 50% owners' entities don't appear on the one title search.

Thanks @lixas4

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2019
    lixas4 likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

I've gone in via my Infotrack login but found nothing under that rock.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Unusual. That area would be old enough to have a purple title. You'd probably have to give more information for the brains trust to solve it but I understand not wanting to do that.

What does rpdata say about it?

I'd say it's more of a legal thing than a surveyor thing but who knows. @Joel Carter is a Perth surveyor and might be able to help. If you want a local property lawyer let me know.

lixas4 likes this.
  7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

sorry its a WA thing.

concur with @lixas4

(watching with interest)

8. Joel Carter

Joel Carter Member

Hi Scott,

This is a shared purple title where there are different title numbers with the same land description.

We have an in-house licensed settlement agency (TLD Settlements - 'TLD' short for The Land Division) that can point you in the right direction or assist you with obtaining the proof you require / ordering the other title.

Regards

Joel Carter

bmc and Westminster like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Thanks @Joel Carter - now I'm intrigued how it can have the same Lot/DP but different title numbers (I haven't come across this before).

Would shared purple title be used for joint ownership of a major CBD asset?

10. Joel Carter

Joel Carter Member

Yes its possible for purple title / tenants in common in CBD property (historical way of doing things).

From Landgate – “Purple title refers to an ownership of an undivided share in a property. It’s not commonly used anymore, some retirement villages or multi story flats (for example) offer residents an undivided share in the complex.”

From REIWA – “Purple Title refers to land held as Tenants in Common, the shares being in the same number as the units.

Separate title may be issued for each unit. The land cannot be divided or partitioned though because of the “unity of possession".

The sketch and lot number is for the whole of the land in the plan or diagram.

The Certificate of Title states the number of undivided shares contained and the sketch of the land used to be shaded purple - thus "purple title".”

11. Scott No Mates

Thanks @Joel Carter, that's what I got from the REIWA site as well. The building in question is one of the more prominent commercial buildings in Perth so am now wondering why it would have remained under a PT if it was built in the late 80's/early 90's?

12. Joel Carter

Joel Carter Member

I understand that you may still be able to create purple titles today however it's not very common.