Title registration

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by TheMango, 17th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TheMango

TheMango Well-Known Member

Hi all
    My wife and I recently purchased a villa off the plan in Perth. It was one of three being developed. We put in a finance clause and it has been a nightmare with super long processing times at the bank etc, but things are finally moving now.

Today I heard back from the RE agent saying that the villas have been completed by the builder and are being handed over to the seller today. The seller will then apply for title registration once the occupancy certificates are issued.

My question is - if at the time at which the seller applies for title registration our finance still has not gone unconditional, in whose name will the titles be registered? Can the seller apply to have the titles registered in his name, even though the villa is currently under contract by us?

The reason we ask is because we are hoping to get the WA building bonus and HomeBuilder. A key criteria of this for off the plan developments is that ‘grants will be paid after the applicants name is registered on the title after completion’. So we are suddenly wondering if perhaps the seller can register the dwelling in their name until our finance goes unconditional, then transfer it to us, which might make us ineligible?

Looking forward to all feedback.
    Many thanks!