Travel & Holidays Tips for Travelling Europe with Kids

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Owlet, 29th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

We have decided to take a bite of the marshmellow and take a family trip to Europe. We will have 16 weeks up our sleeve and 12months to plan/organise. Just wondering what others have done when they have travelled. We are thinking of booking return flights, a couple of nights accommodation when we arrive and then making it up as we go along.

To start with I am thinking about:

How to manage access to money?
    Do I open different savings accounts (different to existing banking) with a VISA debit card attached - place x amount in each account and use one by one? (I am thinking if one is compromised we have access to other accounts.

Mobile phone - get pre-paid phones for the trip? Give people travel phone numbers? Buy them here or in Europe?

Internet access - new email?

Use free Wifi in hotels? How to minimise the cost of mobile and internet?

bob shovel likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I can't answer about kids.

While you can use wifi in hotels and many public places, I found it far easier to have mobile data. You don't need heaps, but it's far easier using Google maps and using uber/taxis if you aren't relying on wifi.

Depending on what sort of phone you have and how much it's worth - take your phone or buy a smart phone for $200 - $300. Motorola now make some reasonable phones, and there's some reasonable ones available from Kogan.

If you have dual Sim you may choose to take your Sim card with you and buy local Sims in Europe. Taking your Sim means that people you haven't notified can get in touch, even if it is international roaming. Otherwise just leave your email address on your answering service.

There's some reasonable deals with sim cards which are useable Europe wide. If you weren't going to many countries, you could get by buying one in each country. If you're using wifi then 1- 2 GB for a month should be plenty. I don't know what wifi is like in Europe - but many Australian places charge for wifi, or give you a small allowance, or poor download. Don't expect Netflix, it should be enough to communicate.

Visa - most banks have travel cards which you load money into. They give you two cards with different numbers, so you still have one if you lose one. Just don't keep them together of course.

Use WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger to keep in touch with people.

Be careful about just winging it if you're travelling during peak season.

Your email should preferably be one that's not tied to an internet provider- but most providers give you web access to email anyway. Or your phone mail app can give you access to email.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Book the return flight,s in advance and your accommodation also ,because depending on the time of year in some locations within the EU the price will be a shocker ..Also look into travel insurance you just never know what you don't know..imho..

4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great plan!
    Start with saying
    1.how many
    2. how old your children are
    16 weeks sounds like you could become fully immersed in a language!
    all the best!

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Thanks Geoff -great suggestions which I will look into. Have no idea how to use WhatsApp and Messenger so will check that out too.

geoffw likes this.
  6. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Great suggestions - flights will be in advance to secure a good price. Yes Travel Insurance a must. Accommodation - will be looking into various options - central base that we venture out from different base each month, maybe go down the campervan route.

Shazi likes this.
  7. geoffw

Facebook Messenger requires a Facebook account, so that may not suit. I use FB messenger frequently because most of the people I contact are on FB.

Whatsapp: WhatsApp

There’s always Skype, the most well known. I use Skype, but for such a well known app, it can be really user unfriendly at times.

Owlet likes this.
  8. geoffw

Or you can check out Airbnb. If you’ve never used it before, many people here could give you a referral link which saves them and you money. Airbnb can save a lot of money, and give some great experiences, but it’s not for everybody. I love it, my wife barely tolerates it.

legallyblonde and Owlet like this.
  9. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Family of 5 with 3 primary aged children. Kids will be involved - have a say in where we will go, learn about different cultures, art, history, currency etc.

10. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

The easy part is making a list of places

The Dalmation Coast - recommended
    The Colosseum - kids choice
    Barcelona - they have a St Jude/John? festival where from dusk til dawn the city lets off crackers
    Edinburgh
    The Eiffel Tower - kids choice

11. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Start with language lessons as a late Christmas treat!
    Watch all the SBS kids programs, with traditional food snacks to get their palates ready!
    There is a particular column in the colloseum that you can climb on ... Makes a great photo..
    start with climbing lessons... ( Even I did it!)

12. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hiya

We went to Europe with two little ones a couple of years ago.....I'd love to say it was an incredible experience :-( Our youngest at the time was 18 months. In hindsight we should have waited until she was a bit older.

With accessing money - I always just take over two debit cards and use ATMs. I take out large amounts each transaction. Leave some in your accommodation and take what you need for the day. Stash the second card away in a separate place - you only need to use it if you lose the first.

With mobile phones - there's some good prepaid international sims available. I think I purchased one from Woolies last time we went to Europe.

Internet access is everywhere - you'll be able to tap into wifi in lots of places. For times where wifi isn't available you could access emails, etc on your phone via the prepaid sim (there's usually prepaid data included).

Have fun!

Cheers

Jamie

13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

My tip is to not travel too much. The actual travel between destinations is the most stressful part of it in my opinion so stick to a few areas and do them really well.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't going to risk a huge phone bill so bought an Australia Post prepaid travel sim. I could have added data, but relied on wifi in public places but mostly in our accommodation. I made sure we had free wifi when booking.

But having to use the sim was expensive, but I don't understand things well enough to ensure I'm not chewing up data without realising. I loaded $100 and then another $100 over eight weeks when I had to use it without free wifi.

It also meant I didn't have people calling me from Australia. I loaded photos to Facebook so our kids and selected friends could see where we were.

15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Agree with this.

Unless you hire a car and choose a driving holiday, if travelling by any form of public transport (train, plane) you basically lose a day each time you move.
    Marg

16. geoffw

It depends partially on what sort of people you are. Some people travel to see the sights, others travel to experience another place and another culture.

If you're not sure, mix them up. You have a lot of time, and if you are travelling all of that time, you will be completely sick of it. Maybe take 2 to 4 weeks in one place, possibly even house sitting (there are websites where you can find places for minimal cost). Perhaps somewhere in the country, close to a small village. Even take language lessons. South of France, Tuscany, Portugal, Greek island... There's so many possibilities.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  17. geoffw

Btw travel insurance is a must. But don't take what's offered when you buy the flights. Do some research on cost, benefits, and user reviews, especially how good they are for paying out.

As mentioned, a data Sim card is a must, but don't get one that's world wide like the one Wylie mentioned- just a Europe one. To help you save data, either download local maps using wifi on Google maps when you are in a specific location, or use maps.me and download country maps as you go.

To keep kids entertained, especially on the plane, you can download Netflix shows.

A subscription to Google Music or Spotify is cheap, and also allows you to download music.

All this downloading... If you are going to get a phone for the trip, get one with a data card slot and get a big enough card.

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

True - but no matter who you are, trying to wrangle 3 primary aged kids and a mountain of luggage, while trying to work out which platform your train is leaving from when all signage is in a different language, is not going to be very fun. It's stressful enough with two adults.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  19. geoffw

Sure. But the OP has already got his sights on a number of destinations. I’m pointing out another possibility given the amount of time they have available. 16 weeks is too much time to be travelling around, I’m trying to subtly indicate a slow down point somewhere.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

We drove all around France with 2 primary aged kids plus one 3 yr old two yrs ago. The road trip was part of the fun, allowing us to see/experience things off the typical tourist trail.

I would pick 4 or 5 countries and hire a car in each.

Owlet likes this.