Tips for finding a good property manager

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Seal, 18th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Seal

Seal Well-Known Member

We need to find a PM in South Brisbane.

What are your best tips for finding a good PM? What info are you trying to find out about them and what they do?

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Ask for recommendations on here.

Ask family/friends for a referral.

Call a couple and ask them about your property and the area in general - ask them about rentals they have in the same area. What's the vacancy rate like? What sort of rents are they achieving?

Cheers

Jamie

Seal and 733 like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Interview the person managing the property and their boss/licensee/senior pm. Who takes control of the discussion? This will give you an idea of how much responsibility is delegated and the scope of the pm to act.

How many properties managed/pm? What assistance or backup? Eg admin officer or someone else who undertakes inspections, leasing etc.

SeafordSunshine, Seal and 733 like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The great ones I find, I got it from this forum (and Somersoft back then)
    I always ask the cost upfront, and their process in handling day to day management and when there are issues.
    What's the market like
    How many property they manage
    Do they have assistant/ help e.g. for things like inspection etc

Give them a call - you can get the feel for a really good ones from the just oks

Seal and 733 like this.
  5. Domus

Domus New Member

Pay attention to how your initial call to the office is handled, was the person who answered the phone capable, efficient, was your call returned in a timely manner? If the PM promised to send some information, did this happen?

From the above you should begin to form a 'gut feel'.

Then there are standard questions, as mentioned above by EN710, Scott no Mates.

Be aware of fees, but do not let this be the deciding factor, service and knowledge is more important then cheap fees.

Hope this helps.

Seal likes this.
  6. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I've always gone with recommendations I get from somersoft/PChat, word of mouth here counts a lot.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.