TINY houses ! (and pipe dreams)

Discussion in 'Development' started by jodes, 6th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge with regards to Tiny Houses and DA?

We have been day dreaming about a little block of land where we could grow fruit, veggies and herbs and escape the inner-city life on weekends with a "tiny house" built on it.

If the house is off the grid (compost toilet, rainwater tank, solar power etc), and less than 20m2 (and even on wheels), does anyone know in general what (NSW) local council's stance is on approval? Appreciate they vary from council to council. Do we need to get development approval? If so, would we even get DA? I have called a couple just to find out (this is a pipe dream at the moment) but the answers I have been provided with are fairly vague...

Thanks in advance !

2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

If it is on wheels, it is a temporary building, and therefore shouldnt need council approval. Its no different to having a vacant block and putting your caravan there.
    But check with your council.

In saying this I have a block in Geraldton (WA) and often stop in there on the way further north. We will often park the car and 'camp' on the block for a few nights. Evidently you cant do this, they try to fine me every time.

Blacky

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I've watched the US TV shows.

Most seem to just finish up like big caravans but far more expensive, apparently to get around planning laws.

I think I am missing something.
    Marg

5. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

I think you will find that the answers will always be very vague from local authorities because you are not providing them with a specific example.

I wonder, is it even possible to get a tiny block of land that is located in a rural area? It's a nice idea. Perhaps you could get a bigger parcel, depending on your budget, and get one of those pre-built granny flats.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Depends on your block and how visible it is to the community... Increases chances of complaint also what the neighbours are like.

A mate has 300 acres outside of Oberon. We got a shipping container out there to stay in. It's movable so if council get upset just move it away. The neighbours have similar, one had a caravan with a lean to and the other had a small house but has caravans too.

Work out your block and plans first then ask around at council, don't give your name or address! Or you'll be putting a target on your back.

If your on wheels is temporary so you should be right. The only is potentially the toilet setup but for a weekend you can dig a big hole, or look into camping porta lot's (although not sure how enviro friendly the chemicals are!)

Keen to see any plans or ideas. You can do some good things with solar and 12v batteries!

7. Terry_w

What does he do in the winter? Must be freezing.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You build a bonfire next to the shed. The heat goes straight through the walls - just like central heating.

9. bob shovel

You build a bonfire, then pass out next to the fire! Then when your boot starts to melt it's time to move into the tin cano_O
    It's bloody cold out there. We just go for weekends but we did score a slow combustion heater from council clean-up so it was fairly cozy!

10. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Agree that wheels are key.... as it is a temporary structure. great idea for a small budget

11. bob shovel

Build the dwelling then rest wheels on each side! Council will be none the wiser!

12. Scott No Mates

To answer the OP's question - you will require planning consent for a dwelling.

Not all blocks permit dwellings eg. Byron Shire lots must have dwelling rights attached. Many councils do not allow secondary dwellings (you might get away with it under the granny flat rules.

If you can get a granny flat approved then leasehold arrangements may be possible.

13. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

It really comes down to if your neighbours complain.

However,
    - must be on wheels to avoid Council DA, CDC, etc. Skids, slabs, footings and Council gets involved (I've built a container shed home, this came up as an issue)
    - if it is on your own property it is okay to be used by family.
    - if not, can only be lived in up to 60 days a year, max 2 consecutive days at a time.

Stricter in Qld than Sydney.

There is no reason you can't build these as GFs. Just finished a 30sqm place, no basix required, Council approved no problems. Need to meet the BCA.

Issue with a lot of the info out there is:
    - it is american based
    - most of those involves don't have any land to start with, so no real knowledge or interest in working within the codes

I'm still learning. Building one starting in 3 months or so.

Looking for 2.5+ Acres to build a few (caravan park zoning), only real way to build a few legally. There are other small developments around, one in Gosford with 4 houses and gardens etc.

There are some savvy people in the Tiny House movement making some real effort to make this a thing in Australia. Good to network with.

14. Terry_w

When you think about it the size of houses in Australia is ridiculous. So much wasted space which takes money to pay for. You end up working years longer to own a house twice as big as you need.

JacM, DanW and bob shovel like this.
  15. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you terry. Unfortunately when I was pricing up granny flats they still wanted around 150k here in Perth that's a similar price to a 4 bed house double the size.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Gotta be careful with the heating:
    No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

17. Scott No Mates

@Azazel - that's why the fire is outside.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I meant it as a general public service announcement.

Terry_w likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My bff and I were discussing ensuites in caravans yesterday - the pros and cons of getting a big 18 foot long van that fits a practical bathroom across the back wall compared to smaller vans that have a toilet situated inside the shower cubicle. My bff already has some years' off-grid experience and then we started discussing water supply for showers..................

20. bob shovel

Wow! Hadn't heard about that. Tragedy! They must have had a gas heater of some kind.

Side topic. They have put some work into those containers. Looks like a decent job, power points and gyprock