Tiny homes Petition to Qld Govt

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Angel, 5th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hello fellow progressives.
    Last weekend I attended the Tiny Homes Expo because, well, Mr Angel is converting an old bus into our off-grid motorhome for travel purposes, and we will be downsizing in the future and possibly living in some kind of self-built dwelling that may not necessarily be your typical home. People from the Tiny Home movement have asked us to sign a petition and it is attached here. Can you please have a read of it and offer your valuable feedback..

PS the largest and most luxurious TH on display has been purpose built to be used an an AirBnB

Thanks in advance

Sign the Petition

willair and gman65 like this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Hiw do you differentiate a tiny house from a caravan?

Joynz likes this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

This is a really good cause, and it would be great to see little houses pop up.

Who really cares what a tiny vs caravan is?

I would love options for backyards.

Go Angel!!

Go tiny

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I asked them that question. If the TH is on a skid base, it is not classed by councils as a caravan. If it has wheels it is classed as a caravan. Engineering wise, the speaker described a caravan as a glorified tent with thin walls and minimal insulation, and not designed and built for permanent residency. He said TH are built to actual building standards, like granny flats and second dwellings, with superior insulation for long-term residency.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Tell that to all the grey nomads, couples and families living permanently in caravans.
    They are far from “glorified tents”!!

Angel and See Change like this.
  6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I think you have to hook up the thing and drive at about 95km hr, than u find out which one is a caravan.

7. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

A caravan can be moved so it's not a permanent fixture.

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

The petition seems to be asking for something that is probably in the 'you're dreaming" category. Statewide permission for moveable dwellings? Come on - there needs a lot more work before that's gonna happen.

9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Look at my avatar.. What does that look like?
    I am all for tiny house movement.
    But there is zero chance that will come to fruition. Not in QLD won't be the first mover.

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I went to a Tiny Homes exhibition in Melbourne recently. I went through about 25 tiny homes on display there.

However, for what you get, they seemed very expensive compared to a prefab studio. Most were very cute though!

Terry_w likes this.
  12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Just signed the petition.

It's crazy that councils block Tiny Homes. But I guess it makes sense because normal houses are really affordable to rent and they are also plentiful. We don't need an increase in affordable housing options. Everything is fine...

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not quite affordable - have you checked out the cost to rent a bedsit in the so-called 'affordable' modern boarding houses?

16m² room with a hotplate, bar fridge, bathroom, bed, sofa but the rent is well over $300/wk - which exceeds the pension or other benefits.

How will stand alone 'tiny homes' be affordable than mass market boarding house suites?

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

They won't be more affordable than a boarding house. People with no money still won't be able to afford things that cost money. I don't really get what point you're trying to make?

If a house costs $650 to rent pw. And a Tiny House costs $400 to rent pw. Someone with $400 pw can afford the Tiny House but not the normal house. It is true however that someone with less than $400 pw, cannot afford the rent. However that doesn't stop $400 being more affordable than $650...

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2023
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's in response to your comment:

Isn't this the issue, there's a scarcity, rents are increasing, not all houses are affordable (or in good tenantable condition) and greedy landlords are making money while the sun shines.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.