Timber Veneer doors paint or replace ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by PatsyStone, 17th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Home made I hope ;)

Checkerplate adhesive!
    Screenshot_2015-12-17-19-16-03.png

PatsyStone likes this.
  2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

When we did that kitchen stone was around $800 per linear metre, I think the veneer worked out to about $150 per lm.

Same story with perspex and glass, they were over $1000, tile cost just over $100

1450351041929.jpg

3. PatsyStone

PatsyStone Well-Known Member

Love the IKEA kitchen. Had some big probs with a Bunnings kitchen not keen to try flat pack again unless I could find a skilled professional trusted ! installation person. Agree stone would be too pricey .

4. Tim & Chrissy

I think black doors would make the splash back look really good. Might even get away with keeping the white bench tops

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. Tim & Chrissy

You dont need a flat pack, just change the doors, handles and buy some end panels in the same colour, keep all the original carcasses.

Ikea even sell a template to fit on the doors to drill the holes for handles.

I think it also depends on the type of area you live in, we are semi rural so the country style suits the property.

Last edited: 17th Dec, 2015
  6. PatsyStone

Thanks great suggestions . My place is near the beach . The area appeals to slightly earthy contemporary types. My house is not so much a traditional family home .

7. Tim & Chrissy

Your splash back works for a beachy house I think, I got this, and a lot like it, when I typed in beach kitchen to google:

images-4.jpeg

WattleIdo and PatsyStone like this.
  8. PatsyStone

This I love . Its bright and fresh.
    Im very much into white . I chose these tiles as blues and particular greens always reflect a beach theme. I recall spending some time looking for a tile that was as blue as it was green but not exactly turquoise .

Tim & Chrissy and WattleIdo like this.
  9. PatsyStone

Very helpful T . Now have my direction. I always liked my glass tiles ..sure a tad risky but with white think it will tame them . White pendant lights can see it coming together nicely . image.jpg

10. bob shovel

White paint will work well on your cupboards. We painted some old school mustard coloured cupboards, easily done and looked good.

PatsyStone likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thats cool. The blue tiles just didnt go with your tan/brown wood veneer doors but they will be fine with white doors. :)

PatsyStone and Jess Peletier like this.
  12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I agree, the blue/green tiles look gorgeous with the white.

PatsyStone likes this.
  13. Tim & Chrissy

Here is a white ikea Kitchen with flat doors and wide cabinet handles, looks very modern:

Mix white ash and high-gloss fronts for a clean modern look - IKEA

[​IMG]

The doors are $45 each.

The handles are $9 each.

The thing I like about idea cabinets is that they veneer all the way around. Cheaper panels will only be veneered to the edge of the door and then a thin strip is used on the sides, they often chip and always make the kitchen look cheaper.

You could always try painting your doors first, tile paint may be the best thing because it has a bonding agent in it to keep it on the door. Alternatively you can use a product called 'ESP' on the doors first and then paint with a high gloss acrylic.

Last edited: 18th Dec, 2015
    WattleIdo and PatsyStone like this.
  14. Tim & Chrissy

Ikea have stone pretty cheap as well.

If your kitchen is a standard 900mm deep bench stone starts at $420 per linear metre and laminate starts at $200 per linear metre. The stone has an additional service charge of $550 but it includes measure and professional install:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_AU/img/vitality/custom/metod_mipl/FY15_METOD_benchtops_prices.pdf

15. PatsyStone

Thanks again so for your help. I like these IKEA doors :) . I won't try to paint the doors as house might be in price bracket ( here's hoping ) where anything not up to a certain standard might hamper healthy sale price. As we know kitchens are all important. I decided against a laminex bench top for same reason . I completely understand the different edges Now! I did a Reno with laminex non wrapped edges ( trusted Bunnings rep...don't do it! ) . They look cheap and will not wear well over time.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
    Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  16. PatsyStone

Naturally .Pumpkin if you prefer or date. I'm starving now :)

17. PatsyStone

The rise/bench top on main bench to stay or go? It's a dated look . Wonderful for messy kitchen people like me with an open plan though. Cant see hats etc from dining or lounge room. To keep means extra money for covering in a stone product ..tricky to
    Fit maybe ? But get to keep those lovely beach tiles . Have to say it's been so handy in many ways .."here's your plate up here come get it "

18. Tim & Chrissy

I would keep it, it extends the splash back all the way around the kitchen which always looks better than a splash back on just one wall.

We have young children and it's pretty rare the kitchen is pristine so I would always prefer a rise to hide the benchtops a bit.

On that Ikea price list stone from 10-40cm wide is $240 pm and from 40-60cm wide is $270pm so how much cost will it really add? $600 - $700? your labour/cut down costs won't change much it's just the extra material for the rise.

PatsyStone likes this.
  19. bob shovel

Are you asking me on a date? Lol:p

I prefer beer or lemonade, with sultanas if im feeling fancy

20. PatsyStone

Haha it could look that way . I hadn't had my breakfast was dreaming of scones . What's wrong with tea and scones .....I've charmed a guy or two serving with my special bone china tea set lol probably remind them of their Mum