Timber floorboards

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Elives, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have a question i'm about to start painting the skirting boards.
    1. should i wait until the floorboards have been polished? or is it ok if i paint the skirting boards now? i remember my parents getting there place done and the skirting boards didn't get damaged or anything but thought it may be wise to ask here first.

2. from the photos below do you think the floorboards will come up good if i sand&polish? they were originally carpeted the black marks i think is from the rubber underlay / glue. another idea i could just carpet them again but because the rest of the house the floors will be getting done i thought it was best to get the bedrooms done as well.

upload_2017-1-20_19-55-22.png
    upload_2017-1-20_19-55-41.png

Cheers, Elives

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2017
  2. brisfisher

brisfisher Member

i would apply 1 coat now and a touch up coat once the polishers have been through. They will inevitably knock the skirting boards about a bit.

They look like pine boards and should polish up a treat.

Gingin and Elives like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd paint the skirting boards and then you will just need to touch up if they get rubbed by the machine.

That "black" looks like what we call "Japanning". It is a darker stain around the edges because a rug was placed in the middle. When it is sanded, the black edges will come up lighter than the middle because the black has protected the boards from any fading.

You "could" ask the sander to stain the middle bit but you will always have the two different colours. The good thing is that timber will still look amazing when sanded.

I'd wait until the first sand is done and ask the sander his thoughts on staining the what is light now, but will be darker once sanded. Some sanders don't like trying to even the colour difference out. Some will give it a go.

Worst case, is you put down rugs again.

DaveM, Propertunity and Elives like this.
  4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

My floorboards looked similar. They came up okayish. But I did diy. I think polishing floorboards is worth getting a pro to do. Ill be getting someone to come through and make mine a bit nicer

Get oil based sealer too. Water base sucks. Unless you like them without any shine.

I would leave painting the skirtings until after the floor is done. Thats just personal preference. But you'll find that any slip ups with your painting will easily be wiped off a polished floor. But a non sealed floor will take a lot more to wipe up.

Propertunity likes this.
  5. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Wouldn't sanding take the drops of paint off easy prior to polishing?

6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Im talking about the cutting in. So those couple of mm you might go over right on the edge.

If the sander is having to go so close as to knock off the paint right on that edge of the floorboard, then its likely going close enough to damage your painting anyway.

But see what the floor polisher thinks. He might be able to do it without damaging the skirting at all.

7. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

as i'm living in the property and having a search online i decided to paint the skirtings, I want to get all inside renovation work done and do floors last. do you have a floor guy you use? / can recommend for brissy?

Cheers, Elives

8. wylie

Last two jobs we had done by Alex 0433 441 723

He is very good, likes a chat and we call him Alex Sander the Great :D

Techguy, Heinz57 and Elives like this.
  9. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Thanks for that! Do you have any idea of how much i'd be looking at for sand & polish for 2 bed queenslander? 127m2? i'll call him when i get close to floors.

Cheers, Elives

10. wylie

I'd make an uneducated guess of about $2.5k. Maybe a little more. But please don't hold me (or Alex) to that. I'm just guessing going on what we've paid in the past and house size and scope of preparation is a big factor.

Elives likes this.
  11. brisfisher

brisfisher Member

$30/m2 seems to be the going rate

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.