Tiles vs Vinyl planks

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SaberX, 23rd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I actualyl can't remember if my included tiles package was ceramic or porcelain. It's the typical $44/m2 inclusion tiles in builders home packages, so apart from that I think I'll need to dig out tomorrow what they are. You mentioned more long term value to the home - so you feel resale value and/or rental value is more positively affected by having the tiles as opposed to vinyl planks throughout?

I was thinking of vinyl planks if not to replace these main living tiling, then perhaps I could rip out the polypropelene chosen carpets throughout the bedrooms and go vinyl planks. Quite a few people have been telling me they like the vinyl planks (well more specifically wooden floor style look) as it is warmer and also just the colours. So it's been interesting as my more traditional upbringing was tiles were more timeless and added value. Appears the wood/vinyl planks/laminate etc. have had more of a modern day comeback?

Good advice ont he matte vs gloss aspect. I did find the really matte finish tiles were also very rough, int he sense of that slick dusty sorta sticky feeling when you run your hands over them. Def not a fan of the feeling... but I guess some people will be? On the other hand there wasn't so much a full glossy in the grey style shade tyles that I could pick from, probably as it's more warmer colours with gloss or the more expensive tiling range that has more of that glossy, marbly design/style I find. I was going mid ground as you mentioned, something that is matte but still somewhat smooth (albeit not looking too glossy) . That way you can still wipe it down pretty easily, it isn't too glossy and slippery if wet, and like you mentioned hopefully the part matte feel will disguise any scratches or wear more than a glossy tile.

One thing that was interesting this time I went through the tiles was the lady mentioning the colour of the tile all the way through i.e. you can see it down the side edge of the tile sample. My old tile was most liekly the creame/red colour throughout, whereas the new tile was grey down the sides. The advantage supposedly being any chips into the tile would hopefully show grey underneath as opposed to a cream/underlying tile colour that stood out completely.

@dabbler i also find the semi matte etc. when done in a nice grey can accentuate a white glossy laminate kitchen and stone... rather than it looking all glossy overload you have a good mixture.... at least I Thought it made it look more like a modern kitchen. More sleek?

2. hathro

hathro Member

My understanding of lose lay was that only the outer planks are glued down and all the other planks are not. This makes for quicker installation and easier removal. They aren't meant for high traffic areas and aren't recommended for residential applications so I'd avoid them. For the application, think of a hair dressers, beauty shop etc.

As Jess said, Spring Oak is top of the range and is meant to be "commercial" as it has a thicker wear layer. Overkill for an IP I'd say.

From the website:
    "Can spilt liquids seep through tile edges?

Your floor should have been fitted tightly to ensure spillages cannot seep through tile edges or custom cuts. To avoid slippery surfaces, any spills should be cleaned up straight away. "

We have it in our kitchen and haven't had an issue at all. We've spilled literally everything on this flooring. Good as new. To be honest, the thought of being waterproof never crossed my mind, it just works!