VIC Thoughts on these Corio / Norlane Properties

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Nige12, 11th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I can't help but notice that most of your questions are asking about the future, and all I can say is I don't have a crystal ball...if you ask 100 people they will all likely to give you different answers.

What you should be asking are the present tense questions, such as:
    - How much would this property rent, and what would be the gross yield?
    - What are the recent comparable properties that have been sold for?
    - What sort of demographics lives here and what are the vacancy rate, so I can determine the type of renters and rental demand?

Investing is not about speculating - it's about finding a deal based on current/historic information that you can gather, so my suggestion would be to ask more present tense questions and I'm sure there'll be more forumites who are able to help.

If you've already bought it then what's done is already done - no point asking whether you paid too much as you cannot change the past. But I'm sure there'll be a lesson or two that you get out of this purchase? Use it towards the next purchase and then you'll be well on your A game :)

Jimmylt likes this.
  2. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Catching up on Geelong threads now and saw this - @G TOWN good initiative and I'm sure there are plenty of others who are interested! Time to do up a post in the Networking & Meetup section? ;)

Lions4Eva likes this.
  3. HapppyChat

HapppyChat Well-Known Member

I'm about to buy a corner block in Norlane with the plan to subdivided and build so have been reading the H&L posts with interest. It shows each persons path to the enlightened investment land takes many different routes.

For me, if I buy land for $300k, I have the holding costs of that until I build a house so I need to build straight away or I won't have any spare money for smashed avo breakfasts. No capital growth, just the difference between the build and the end value. I've made little $50k and $100k's before and it doesn't make you wealthy or else I'd be on a cruise now with someone feeding me grapes, not on my computer at home at 5am.

With this property in Norlane (terrible name, sounds like an old girlfriend. They can put "New" in front of it, but it's still Norlane), I do my daggy old house up a little and put a tenant in who pays me some nice holding costs money. I go and do something else with my life instead of reading forums, and come back in 2020 and do the numbers. If they don't stack up to build I go away, cool my jets, and come back again and check. At some stage if there's capital growth in the area, it will add up and I'll have options to build, sell one or both or keep holding. This one is being put in my portfolio for debt reduction around 2025 but as my future goggles are broken I don't know if I'll be paying hundreds of thousands off my debt that year or $10.

4. Melmac

Melmac Well-Known Member

with the way properties are getting sold in Corio and Norane,i wonder if the bad pockets wont be as bad pockets for much longer.

Lions4Eva likes this.
  5. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

Over 100 lots just sold, or a couple left maybe, at the new estate (Flinders Park) in Corio, so the area is on the rise. When you consider it's a direct 45 minute drive to Melbourne CBD, it represents good value ($150k, and some well below that) compared to comparable new estates. By the time these title in 2018 expect a good 30% increase in value instantly.

Lions4Eva likes this.
  6. Steve90

Steve90 Active Member

Melmac likes this.
  7. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

I don't have a ton of insight into this @Steve90 but from my driving around these areas, it looked like the rougher areas had the same appearance in both these suburbs, but Corio's nicer parts were nicer in comparison.

8. apk

apk Well-Known Member

9. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

10. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

That's a demo mate.....add the cost of the demo, stamp duty, holding costs for at least a year for subdivision...new construction costs and determine if the numbers work for two new townhouses... good luck.

Lions4Eva likes this.
  11. Melmac

Melmac Well-Known Member

How is everyone's experience with RE agents in Geelong? I feel like one agency is particular who happens to have a lot of properties listed with them, are not so great to deal with. No response to emails, if shown interest over the phone in a property, not much interest shown back , not even getting to the stage of discussing numbers and a lot of other things like that.
    In all not very approachable. It just makes everything very difficult.
    Whereas the experience with every other RE agency in Geelong has been nothing but lovely.

12. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

13. Jimmylt

Jimmylt Well-Known Member

Ok

Melmac likes this.
  14. Melmac

Melmac Well-Known Member

That is quite helpful. Thanks heaps.

Binda likes this.
  15. ashaarrh

ashaarrh Well-Known Member

I've noticed there are a few properties around Corio/Norlane around the $270-320k mark.

With my budget of up to around $450k, is there a particular suburb or pocket in the Geelong area people would suggest to look towards? My goal is capital growth and I figured the higher my outlay/purchase price the greater the return will be (hopefully) from a $ perspective relatively speaking.

I briefly looked at North Geelong but there doesn't seem to be much stock on the market, and proper/east/west Geelong all seem to be well above my budget

16. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

The RGZ would be a no-brainer I'd imagine.

17. Moses

Moses Active Member

May i know why?
    Can U plz elaborate?
    Since I'm planning to buy another one in these areas n might go for RGZ

18. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

19. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Long and short, developers love the RGZ and pay more for properties in this zone because of the greater potential to make $$. Read through this one pager - https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/32129/Residential-Growth-Zone_Web.pdf. If you're buying into the Corio/Norlane areas, might as well buy in the RGZ and reap the benefits later.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  20. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Yes plenty of RGZ in Corio, and also a section in Bell Park near the North Geelong secondary college.

Westie likes this.