Asia Thoughts on Thailand

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Angel, 4th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Run a mile.

I find it funny that so many foreigners leave their brain at the airport

Anthony Brew likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

O dear! According to Mr Angel I was being rude to him (the misogynist farang) last night so I started a fight (with my husband) and his brother is moving out tonight.

Stupid men - dont they know it's not necessarily a good idea to make smart comments about women while she is doing the dishes and she has a huge chef's knife in her hands?

The Y-man and datto like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Did you give the guy a reality check and tell him he isnt as handsome as he gets told he is over there, or mention that the bar he met his wife isnt a karaoke bar?

Nice move mrs angel, many of these people just cant handle being told the truth or get a inferiority complex :oops:

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Might be time to install a dishwasher..

The Y-man and Terry_w like this.
  5. money

money Well-Known Member

Is she only worried that you'll get stuck in really bad traffic jams and that you'll inhale all the toxic pollution into your lungs? :D:D

6. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

I worked as a diplomat in Bangkok 06-09 and know the city very well. Decided not to invest in 100k city condo in 07 and happy with my decision for many reasons, most similar to why I wouldn’t undergo surgery there (no HCCC no governance integrity high corruption etc) - I do laser and dental there though

Anyway just visited for first time in 7 years in nov this year OMG BKK is out of control and every BTS extension results in entire suburbs of luxury apartments!!!

2 random current Thailand observations:

1. They seem to have shortage of skilled tilers- I was staying so Sofitel — Uber luxury and the bathroom job was really shoddy, saw this repeatedly

2. It’s happened. Prices are no longer cheap. Food is similar to Sydney unless you eat a very tiny portion of chicken rice on the street for 50 baht but I need 3 to be full ($7.50) ; all western food is more expensive than Sydney

Thank god the services I use are still cheap like 100 baht massage and cheap nanny for my kids - I’m sure sex service are still cheap too but Chem sex seems to have taken a toll on gay culture there....messy messy

Still - a fabulous vibrant rapidly expanding cheeky city but I still wouldn’t invest

You always get shafted and laws change all the time (they have semi violent coups every 5 years)....I could go on ...

7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Ah yes! The tilers! I always wondered if the tiling is like that.....what about the rest of the building?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

what is Chem sex?

Rich2011, TMNT and Butterfly88 like this.
  9. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Mrs does not see Bangkok as the holidays destination even though Thai is her favorite cuisine and not that I am not trustworthy :D :rolleyes:

10. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Do you really want us to spell it out for you Terry? :p

Poppy likes this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Blacky likes this.
  12. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Bangkok has dedicated facilities for chemsex suffers...it’s ground zero for both synthetic amphetemine and ice production as well as crazy sex. Foreigners are extremely naive about Bangkok, and about Thai culture in general. There’s a good reason they were never colonised— they are warriors.

13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ahh Thailand. I wonder what happened to all my darlings over there? There was Supaskorn, Sufa and er I forgot the names of the other 12 lol.

Best 10 day holiday I ever had.

I brought back a wondrful souvineer too. Took 2 weeks to recover from it.

Icarus likes this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Is it like alcohol?

Can you even rememebr anything??

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The first 2 days or one night it seems......fitting meetings with 12 close friends in 10 days while on a sightseeing holiday is impressive dats.

Rich2011 likes this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The previous time Farang was here, we got to hear all about his Thai National friend's businesses. He recently purchased a small hotel and Farang suggested we could be their hotel manager, buy into accommodation business and manage the hotel bookings. I thought I did a pretty thorough job of politely turning down his kind offer back in the day.

Last weekend he was still suggesting we sell all our assets (er no), leave this terrible place with all its terrible laws and taxes, and go live over there. We replied that his description of Thai life wasn't as appealing as the thought of living close to our family near the beaches along the Fraser Coast.

On his first night here he was discussing shootings and body disposal. On the third day we should buy out his share of one of his businesses so that we can start buying up properties in a company. But hang on - he is regularly on FB complaining that his businesses go broke because farangs get ripped off by unfair Thai laws and taxes, workers too lazy, too much corruption, etc etc. we were subjected to five nights of this diatribe.

He did compliment me on my sarcasm, then later told me that I am too rude for Thais. I wonder what could have happened to his great fat belly when he turned around while I was using the chef's knife on Monday night if I wasn't so well trained in Hospitality WH&S.

17. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

The truth is I dont know :D Only know the theory but no practical experience

18. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

I used to work for someone who owned a villa business in Bali-granted not Thailand, but she said it was workable and made them a reasonable amount.
    The thing I would say no one has discussed here is the foreign exchange rate=not as favourable as I remember as a kid=if the trend continues then "added" capital growth.

19. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

For tourism purpose, Bangkok is great. For lifestyle, I don’t think so. I left Bangkok and moved to Melbourne for lifestyle reasons.